Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer / Old performer regulator 5lb tank upgrade overhaul  (Read 5540 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Performer / Old performer regulator 5lb tank upgrade overhaul
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »
@CCP Performer

So the only adapter needed was that npt adapter..what size did you buy and which size went to regulator and which size went to the elbow to burner tube piece pls
Grills

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
Here is my receipt, the 3/8 would be the flared fitting side that attaches to the fitting at the end of the hose, the 1/8 side would be the NPT fitting to attach to the elbow that inserts into the burner tube, but that seems too small. I will measure in the morning to confirm the diameter

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 04:14:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing this mod. I'll be doing this to my SS.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »
Fantastic writeUP.  I'm in the same boat "as we post".  Recently acquired a '92 SS Perf and she needs some LP system tender care.  Thanks for your timely article :)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
@CCP Performer
thanks..pls get back with the adapter dimensioms and how to install the right fittings...
Quite an ebtry with first posting being a very helpful diy writeup.

Grills

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply, I thought Fathers Day was to rest! I had fun loading up the Performer though!

As best as I can find is that the flitting on the end of a regulator hose is "3/8" female flared fitting", maybe someone can confirm that? That solves half of the equation, and no pipe dope on that fitting!

The mystery is the NPT side, my receipt says 1/8", but see attached picture, it looks bigger than that, doesn't it? I found this forum that talks about attaching a regulator hose with  3/8" flared fitting to a old Weber gasser manifold, which is what the guy at True Value said of the adapter and why he stocked it. The other forum as you'll see seems to resolve to a 1/8" NPT. Maybe the 1/8" measurement is the ID (interior dimension)? On this fitting you need to use pipe dope that is certified for LP, I can take a picture of the tube I used if needed, but it's pretty common stuff. Forum link: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8570

I removed the old brass orifice elbow from the old regulator tube, hopefully the attached closeup pictures should get you the rest of the way but I am here to help if you need anymore detail.

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 07:38:46 AM »
You should flip the bracket that held the old 5lb tank so you can get a couple inches clearance and you will be able to turn the tank valve on and off without removing the cover.
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 06:46:59 PM »
@jaycee213 great suggestion! I did it tonight and can now operate the valve without moving the "cover" thanks for the suggestion!