Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: when to buy new 5 lb tank  (Read 1229 times)

KevFun

• Happy Cooker
when to buy new 5 lb tank
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
I can't find anywhere that tells you how long a propane tank, of any size but I'm more concerned with a 5lb tank, will last before it should be discarded. I have a tank that's at least 16 years old. Shows no rust of significant damage, but are there other things that go wrong necessitating replacing it.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repeat question.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: when to buy new 5 lb tank
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »
12 years from date on the tank, then it needs to be re-certified every 5 years, costs about 8 bux
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: when to buy new 5 lb tank
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:38 AM »
Not that this is "recommended" but some places will actually fill an expired tank without checking the date. My '92 Performer is still on its second tank, in fine physical shape (and with the proper working OPD value) and so my local Ace Hardware hasn't complained about refilling it. Hopefully they won't get busted for doing that some day.

And I'll ask a mod to move this thread; most Performer owners may not see it here in the gasser's section.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:10:49 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5