Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New weber wok question?  (Read 1146 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
New weber wok question?
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
So where's the porcelain.All I see is cast iron . I own a lot of cast . Just don't see the porcelain

Confused

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New weber wok question?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
it's porcelain coated cast iron, looks like cast iron but without the rust, you have to watch chipping it which is why you always use wooden utensils
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
The griddle and other GBS CI accessories are the same way. Some porcelain coated gasser grates have the same rough finish for example.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
Thanks , only thing I could figure was it was extremely thin . So conventional seasoning doesn't work here ?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:57:12 AM »
So conventional seasoning doesn't work here ?

Yes and no. If you wear off the porcelain coating or damage the surface, you'll have to season it or at least keep damaged sections oiled. Otherwise, you won't, and you'd just oil during a cook like normally.

Only raw cast iron "lasts forever" because there's no porcelain coating to ruin. The GBS system hasn't been around long enough to know if it only lasts a few years or many.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch