Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: how to test the Vortex  (Read 6622 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: how to test the Vortex
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »
what size vortex did you get?

I've tested my hillbilly vortex on the Performer and 18" OTG, with great results, so how about some setups on the 26'r?

medium (for 22 and 26)

I can do some testing on both of my 26, but  I can't do head to head (one is 3 wheeler, other is OT)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »
Could you possibly give dimensions? I got a medium that I haven't used yet. It looks great for a 22.5" but is definitely too big for an 18er. Diameter of larger/smaller side would be awesome to get a visual of how it would sit on a grill.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »
Could you possibly give dimensions? I got a medium that I haven't used yet. It looks great for a 22.5" but is definitely too big for an 18er. Diameter of larger/smaller side would be awesome to get a visual of how it would sit on a grill.

Small and Medium both fit between weber 18.5" and 22.5" grates. The difference in diameters is exactly proportionate to grate sizes

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
Couldn't an old coffee can produce almost the same effect?
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
or one of those "beer buckets"?

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »

The shape of the Vortex is what makes it different than just a coffee can. When running it hot, it's a conical reducer (more air can come in than can go out which projects the heat). When the coals are outside of the vortex, it's angle deflects heat away-and-up for a true indirect cook.

As for an old galvanized (yikes) beer bucket, the Vortex is American made 20 gauge 304 grade stainless steel.

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:56 AM »

The shape of the Vortex is what makes it different than just a coffee can. When running it hot, it's a conical reducer (more air can come in than can go out which projects the heat). When the coals are outside of the vortex, it's angle deflects heat away-and-up for a true indirect cook.

As for an old galvanized (yikes) beer bucket, the Vortex is American made 20 gauge 304 grade stainless steel.

That makes sense.  haha, I've been warned about using galvanized anything in the kettle.  To be honest, I wasn't too sure on what the beer buckets we're made out of. 

Thanks for the lesson.