Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stok cast iron grates  (Read 2073 times)

Tuberoller

• Smokey Joe
Stok cast iron grates
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:22:21 AM »
I found these at Target last fall when they were heavily discounting all the Stok grill items. I picked up the grates, the lifter and a bunch of the inserts for as much as 60% off. I'll be completely honest and tell you that most of this stuff is of "questionable" quality. The $20 I paid for the grates was cheap enough to justify the time it took to season them properly......I think.

The gap between the grates is wider than I would like and the grates themselves are beveled and not really cast in a consistent way. The grill marks these produce look ok but require a grill press to give a nice presentation.

They did season well, heat quicker than I expected and are now completely non-stick.

My favorite wok fits nicely into the insert opening and I get the proper stir-fry temps with easy when using fuel baskets.

They work well enough that I use them all the time now and the lighter weight seems to be a benefit when it comes time to remove for cleaning or to add fuel. I don't know what the retail price of the grates are but they were certainly worth the $20 I paid.

I will add that my wife had to inspect several grates to find one of good quality. Some were cast so poorly that the insert did not seat properly. Consider that as well.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Stok cast iron grates
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »
Thanks for that. Seems consistent with what we saw from BBCue-Z's recent Stok griddle thread.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
I had a stok cast iron grate a couple years ago. I preferred it to the craycorts in my performer.

I didn't have much luck seasoning them on top of their porcelain coating.
Eventually they were so gunked up that the center section would no longer lock into place

I put together a  list of all cast iron grates.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:48:35 PM by Troy »

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »
Agree w/ Troy. I had a Stok and the center piece eventually slid out of place and wouldn't stay. Extremely frustrating during cooks towards the end of using it