Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Holy cow...Pulled beef  (Read 4677 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Holy cow...Pulled beef
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. All I have to say is, if you haven't done it already, do it do it do it. 8)

I don't know why I waited so long.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
Nate - that looks REALLY good... and great photos as always!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
Holy cow...Pulled beef
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:13 AM »
Looks awesome! I'll have to give this a whirl on the Outrider.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »
I am going to have to do this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
Ya buddy! That looks so good. I know what I'm doing to break in my new rescue.. Thanks for the idea
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
Cooked the 3.5lb I picked up the other day. Some pulled away OK, some had to be cut with a knife. A little drier than I'd like, but a little BBQ sauce at the table helped. Lots of flavor, got compliments on taste. I used a little too much seasoning actually!

I pulled it at 198 because it was time to eat ... it had been on for 6 hours at 250-275; used the 22.5" and snake of Coshell with some hickory chunks. Towards the end I stuck a fork in it and tried to twist etc but it didn't tell me much. Hard to imagine beef becoming soft or probe as easily as pork but what do I know?

My understanding is that I should have been doing this around 185 and pulled it when it fell part with a fork and that waiting too long begins to toughen it up again? If that's the case I don't know if I pulled it too early or too late to achieve perfection. Seems it should be EASIER to tell than this.

Liberally "pub burger" - seasoned (Weber, Grill Mates etc. sell this kind of seasoning, has Worcestershire flakes, onion, sugar, salt etc)

Done (is black because I overdid seasoning, but beef wasn't burned/dried on edges):

Money shot:

Many thanks again to Nate for starting this thread. Pulled beef is something I'd forgotten completely about prior to this. I know I'll be doing it again.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
Just remembered something perhaps related to this:

"I don't know if I pulled it too early or too late to achieve perfection."

My impression is that outside areas pulled away easier. The middle sections couldn't be pulled apart with forks. But all looked uniformly cooked. I never rotated the meat; the snake "did that for me" just fine.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 03:27:55 AM »
my "guess", is that you pulled it too early.  After the bark is set (3 hrs or so), I like to wrap it in foil to get things to speed up a little bit.  The last one I did took a good 10+ hours at 220-240, but I think that was a 5-6 pounder........which is about the same amount of time my pork butts take.  If it was edible......then score! Chalk it up to a learning experience, take some notes, and give it another try :)
-Keith

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 04:40:28 AM »
Addicted-to-smoke, I too would guess that it was pulled to early, but that's just a guess. Bet it was still good though. I did wrap in foil and add a splash of Budweiser. Maybe that helped with the tenderness of mine.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 04:56:01 AM »
Thanks, I'll foil it for the finish next time. I always forget about that. I think my bark was set somewhere around the 3 hour mark, too.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »
Man that looks really good! I'm doing this next...
WTB: Genesis Jr.