Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New legs for pizza oven project - what diameter and how long?  (Read 1896 times)

Copperkettle218

• Smokey Joe
New legs for pizza oven project - what diameter and how long?
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
So, due to my own clumsiness and that of UPS, I have ended up with a slightly deformed Performer bowl and a dented Performer lid.  I also own a KettlePizza.  My dad and I realized, in a moment of mutual inspiration I can only attribute to the bomber of Stone Arrogant Bastard we were sharing, that I should put all those parts together and end up with a pretty copper pizza oven to go with my freshly repaired copper Performer.  Boom!  No worries about cranking it up to a thousand degrees for Neapolitan-style 'za either, because who cares if the enamel crazes?

I'd like to fit some simple pipe legs into the sockets on the bottom of the bowl to act as legs.  What diameter should I use?  Also, if anybody has done anything similar, is there a particular length that has worked out well?  I'd like it to be easy to slide pizzas in and out, and stability is important.  I could also try to build legs out of angle iron and bolt them to the flanges that would attach it to the Performer cart, but I'm not sure if that'd be as stable.

Any thoughts?  Anybody done something similar?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New legs for pizza oven project - what diameter and how long?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
I saw one set of legs a guy that was very tall did like that & he made the thing WAY tall, like 'top of bowl was 4-1/2 feet' tall.......I think it's 3/4" material (measure a leg to be sure), so just maybe set the thing up on a table or on top of another kettle & measure to see where you'd like it to sit.........

I'm short, you may be tall......hard to give an exact length?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Copperkettle218

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
I'm about 6'0.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:41 AM »
I saw one set of legs a guy that was very tall did like that & he made the thing WAY tall, like 'top of bowl was 4-1/2 feet' tall.......I think it's 3/4" material (measure a leg to be sure), so just maybe set the thing up on a table or on top of another kettle & measure to see where you'd like it to sit.........

I'm short, you may be tall......hard to give an exact length?
Aren't the legs 1"?  Shower curtain rods cut to length should work.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
Yea one inch, shower curtain rod is prefect.  You could upgrade to conduit if your not interested in putting the wheels on

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X