Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Master Touch or Gold?  (Read 7043 times)

robertwhite

• Smokey Joe
New Master Touch or Gold?
« on: September 26, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Hey folks,

New here and looking to get a Weber kettle to compliment my MAK pellet grill.

Since the new 2015 grills will be out shortly, I am looking at the 2015 Master Touch... http://www.amazon.com/Weber-14501001-Master-Touch-Charcoal-22-Inch/dp/B00N6XA198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411759924&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+14501001

or a 2015 Gold (Premium?).... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MKB5TXA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VFZ6YX8CRYKW17C4DG5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

**Note that I am assuming these are the new grills due to the 3-6 week ship time**

My main use for the grill would be steaks, burgers, etc. for times when we don't want to use the pellet grill and want to use charcoal.

Most likely will not be used for any smoking or any lengthy cooks purely due to the fact that the pellet can be used as a "set & forget" cook.

Would the upgraded Master Touch be a waste of money for my usess, and for that matter, would a Gold be overkill for my uses when a Silver would work just as well?

Any input, would be helpful.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Master Touch or Gold?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
I think either the M/T or the gold are great choices. I prefer both of them over the Silver due to the enclosed ash catcher. As someone that cooks on a wooden deck, the enclosed ash catcher is a must - plus it makes cleaning much easier.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
Plated steel hinged cooking grate on the 'Gold"

Gourmet BBQ System hinged cooking grate on the "MasterTouch"

The System Grate seems a pretty good deal...esp. if you're hanging around these folks here that are going to figure out all kinds of extra uses.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/gourmet-grate/15/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/ci-walmart-com/msg128969/#msg128969

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/too-hot/msg128966/#msg128966

Plus the grate itself being extra heavy duty........not something Weber will come to be known for in the near future.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
Just my opinion but I don't think it would be a wast of money for the Master Touch, as far as actually grilling all will operate the same way, the advantages that have been stated for the Gold over the silver are the lid thermometer, ash catcher and the hinged grates (all can be pretty useful personally the ash catcher is my favorite upgrade from the silver & can be added to a silver if you go that route).  The advantages to the Master Touch over the Gold would be the lid bale, and the gourmet grates, the Master Touch grills are supposed to be a bit taller as well that would be a plus to me.  I have no experience with the gourmet grates but love lid bales and can't wait to see the new ones that hold the lid straight up and further out of the way.  I think you will enjoy whichever you decide on but if the price was not an issue & I was buying new, I would go for the Master Touch.   You may end up using the grill for more than you think right now once you start using it, never know.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
for the amount of upgraded features on the mastertouch the +$40 difference is a ridiculous deal. 

just my .02. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

robertwhite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
Cool. Looks like it unanimous.

I was leaning towards the MT, so the advice here helped finalize it.

One more question...................

If the Master Touch is truly being offered as a pre-order like Amazon shows, will they be offered elsewhere for less money once they truly hit the streets or will they sell out quickly and then I am stuck waiting? Color is not a big deal, so Black is fine.

Pardon the lack of knowledge, but I come from stick burner grills/smokers and pellet grill/smokers. The only Weber I have been around is a Silver we bought for my FIL a few years ago.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the pricing is not fixed like all other Weber items - you're probably pretty safe placing the order.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
I think the upgrades are worth the price difference! 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 05:23:25 PM »
I have an older MT and i love the lid bail!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

robertwhite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Well, according to an email I got from Weber, the new master Touch grill will begin shipping tomorrow (Oct.1). Went to my local ACE hardware and had them call Weber to confirm. Should hit the stores 2nd week in Oct.

:)

And yes, black only.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
Well, according to an email I got from Weber, the new master Touch grill will begin shipping tomorrow (Oct.1). Went to my local ACE hardware and had them call Weber to confirm. Should hit the stores 2nd week in Oct.

:)

And yes, black only.

Thanks for that.....people have been speculating on this........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
Booo... We need some color!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

robertwhite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Booo... We need some color!
 8)

Like Henry Ford said...........You can have any color you like, as long as it is Black!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 04:28:38 AM »
as long as they're round, black and cheap.   and i don't care about the round and black part.  Henry Ford

hey if they only want to release black here that's cool, there has to be some ivory left overseas somewhere. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
Master touch
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X