Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restore Question  (Read 1469 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Restore Question
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
I have a question for you restoring experts.  I've scrounged up a pair of MBH's, both "A"code stamped.  One was free, the other was at a yard sale, and I got it for $5.00.  The bottom vent covers are bent up pretty bad on both grills.  Do you normally drill out the rivets and try to bend them back into shape?  Or do you just order new ones?   Also, when you do have an older grill with the 3 vents on bottom with covers,do you still use oven cleaner to clean  them with the vent covers riveted on, or do you take them off?

Thanks

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Restore Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
Leave them on if the rivets are solid.  You can use a rubber mallet to lightly pound them back to shape.  However, I usually use a small flat blade screwdriver to scrape the crust from between the bowl and vent so the vent molds to the shape of the bowl better.  Don't be afraid to spray the oven cleaner direct on the bowl vents.  Ive found it helps loosen the crusty grease that is often stuck between the bowl and vent. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »
Leave them on if the rivets are solid.  You can use a rubber mallet to lightly pound them back to shape.  However, I usually use a small flat blade screwdriver to scrape the crust from between the bowl and vent so the vent molds to the shape of the bowl better.  Don't be afraid to spray the oven cleaner direct on the bowl vents.  Ive found it helps loosen the crusty grease that is often stuck between the bowl and vent.

Actually I've notice the crust between the vent and the bowl helps the vent seal. The vent expands outward, ash fills this space, it hardens, and the cycle repeats. The seal is usually good though. If it's a cooker anyway, I would have no reservations drilling out the vents to get a nice tight fit be rebending or new replacement. Good luck.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:48:55 AM »
If its not a rare kettle and the vents are really bad, I would replace them.
Bending them back is a challenge and requires lots of patience.
These old vents just seem to leak so much air..
The oven cleaner wont break apart the baked on carbon. You have to scrape it.
Afterwards you can polish the aluminum with some polish and 0000 steel wool.
If its a loose rivet, sometimes they can be tightened up with a punch and hammer.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
got any pics of your find?!