Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DNA is a funny thing...  (Read 2554 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
DNA is a funny thing...
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »
So a buddy of mine knowing my obsession with Weber and BBQ in general swung by today and bestowed upon my son his first cooker.  Not a kettle, but you've got to start somewhere.

Later when I was showing my wife the cute photo she says to me "Better be careful or he'll start stealing your garage space with his grill collection."  Then a light bulb went off and I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before.

See where I'm going with this?

Surely in a community that puts out creations like a double ended copper leaf kettle/WSM SS performer, someone has built a smokey joe mini performer.  If so I'd love to see some pics and hear how you did it.

If not, I've got a Green SS that is need of some cart work.  But I'm thinking I can cut the bad pieces out and use that tubing to make a mini and then find some legs and a triangle and turn the Green bowl and lid into a modern day MT.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be much appreciated.  I've got to get my son away from that gasser!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: DNA is a funny thing...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

Yep !!!!

That's a grate idea....................... drive on !!!

Gotta get him off the gas......

Here's resto threads that may help by just looking at the fitting together of redone parts......maybe just a cut & paste (with bolts!!) assignment?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/just-scored-a-free-red-ss-performer/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »
Russell-
Great pic!

I've thought about doing something like an SJ-sized performer, but I don't think you could use cut down performer frames as the scale would be all off.  I'd think you'd need some square tubing that is about half the width of the tubes on a standard performer.  Just to keep the scale correct.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted when you make some progress.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
Hmm, I've thought about about doing this too but it would be alot of effort to make it look to scale. I would run to the IKEA in Des Moines and try to find a frame that can fit the SJ kettle. Maybe a smaller cart/table/coffee table then chop it down to his height. You can also get a top surface there while you are at it. Keep us posted!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »
Russell-
Great pic!

I've thought about doing something like an SJ-sized performer, but I don't think you could use cut down performer frames as the scale would be all off.  I'd think you'd need some square tubing that is about half the width of the tubes on a standard performer.  Just to keep the scale correct.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted when you make some progress.

I'm not sure how technically to scale I'm going to go.  I was thinking I would use the measurements of a 22.5 SS performer, then scale the ratios of length, width and height of the cart down to what they would be based off a 14.5 inch bowl.  But I was thinking I would still use the 1" tube off a Weber cart just so all parts would still be as "Weber original" as possible.  The obvious problems are fabricating a table to size and the mounting brackets to attach the SJ kettle to the cart.

I've see all the parts breakdowns from the manuals, but if anyone has a true dimensional drawing, that would be awesome information for this project.  Fortunately I work for a company chock full of engineers.  Most of which would rather work on something fun like this than the normal day to day drudge.  So I'll set them to work on some napkin drawings, let them go crazy with AutoCAD  and see where things go.

Will definitely post pics if/when my ideas come to fruition.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:16 AM »

"So I'll set them to work on some napkin drawings, let them go crazy with AutoCAD  and see where things go."

In regard to Saxart's story about What's the WKC about to you??

( http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what's-the-wkc-about-to-you/msg119721/#msg119721 )

I think the above exemplifies a lot of it for me......sucking others into the swirling vortex of one's own Weberitis.........the poor unsuspecting general public....... :o 8)

Great idea,. Russel !!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:37 AM »
I would use a SJ Gold, that way you would have the lid holder just like a full size Performer.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
Russell - this is a very exciting project!  I really like your thoughts around the concept - e.g. "scaling down" an existing cart to size appropriately with the SJ.  I have done some modifications of carts, but have not cut them down for sizing. 

One suggestion for an easy approach is to keep the same cart "depth" and simply focus on cutting down the height of the cart to be more appropriate.  That would save a ton of work, and would allow you to use the existing SS tables.  It is pretty easy to cut the right length off the frame (from the bottom) and drill new holes for the axles.  You will still have to build a shelf for the SJ to sit on (I am working on this very mod myself so I can use a mini WSM with a SS cart).

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
Russell - this is a very exciting project!  I really like your thoughts around the concept - e.g. "scaling down" an existing cart to size appropriately with the SJ.  I have done some modifications of carts, but have not cut them down for sizing. 

One suggestion for an easy approach is to keep the same cart "depth" and simply focus on cutting down the height of the cart to be more appropriate.  That would save a ton of work, and would allow you to use the existing SS tables.  It is pretty easy to cut the right length off the frame (from the bottom) and drill new holes for the axles.  You will still have to build a shelf for the SJ to sit on (I am working on this very mod myself so I can use a mini WSM with a SS cart).

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Winz

"I am working on this very mod myself so I can use a mini WSM with a SS cart"

not to be stepping into 'expectation mode' or anything.....but of course you are !!!!!!