Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Electric Heating Element for Weber 18.5"  (Read 1549 times)

rkorock

• Happy Cooker
Electric Heating Element for Weber 18.5"
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
Hello Folks...

I tend to stay away from using petrol based lighting fluid, which has led me to using chimneys and portable heating elements to light the charcoal. Both options work, but both have their drawbacks.

Does any reputable vendor make an aftermarket installable heating element for Weber 18.5" kettles, or has anyone seen a guide on making one? Something that is permanently built in preferably....

I did some searches, and nothing came up...

Thank you!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Electric Heating Element for Weber 18.5"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »

howdy & Welcome !!!

Never have seen anything like that....doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere...........

I would tend to think something installed more or less permanently might be affected by the heat of the charcoal & last for a shorter time than a removable one?
Affecting the heating element, maybe? Not sure...just a guess......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »

I suppose I guy could drill a hole and mount this somehow , but I don't see the point , you'd have to remove the plastic handle , deal with the cord and like Buckie wrote , probably  won't last under extreme conditions
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »
Hello Folks...

I tend to stay away from using petrol based lighting fluid, which has led me to using chimneys and portable heating elements to light the charcoal. Both options work, but both have their drawbacks.

Does any reputable vendor make an aftermarket installable heating element for Weber 18.5" kettles, or has anyone seen a guide on making one? Something that is permanently built in preferably....

I did some searches, and nothing came up...

Thank you!

I've see some people with electric smokers place small amounts of charcoal in there to add real smoke flavor. I presume you could install the element in the same fashion but the charcoal would get really hot. I would worry about the longevity especially when the drippings hit the element and cause rapid cooling. What advantages are you looking for primarily?

This would probably work: http://www.charbroil.com/electric-patio-caddie-control-and-element-kit.html with the added benefit of quick disconnect
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:25:02 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
That Electric Heating Element looks like what was in the bottom of my first smoker, a Meco Electric (replaced by a WSM) 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)