Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Walk up offer or sale  (Read 1565 times)

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
Walk up offer or sale
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
I'm out of town for the weekend and happened to see a nice looking Red MBH kettle in the back yard of someone's house.  The kettle really doesn't look like it's being completely neglected, but it looks like it could use a better home.  I'm thinking about stopping by in the morning to see if they would be willing to part with her.   Any advice or best practice for an approach on a cold sale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: Walk up offer or sale
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Yes you need to just ask what they are doing with there old kettle and would like to buy the red head from them!!!
I lost out on a red head ss performer because I did not want to knock on the door and now it is gone....
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
There are a lot of theories about this, and threads you can read.  My suggestion would be to start by expressing appreciation, and seeing if there is any interest in selling.  A kind of 'Hey, I really love those old kettles', and see where the conversation takes you.  Much more friendly and less threatening than pushing in there and trying to negotiate right away.  And if they aren't interested in selling, you might leave your number with them for the future. 

Another common tactic is to offer a trade with a more modern kettle.  In fact, many of the Grillfellas perpetually keep a cleaned OTS that they picked up cheap or free for 'trade bait'.  That's often mighty appealing to someone who is looking at a greasy old kettle every weekend. 
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
There are a lot of theories about this, and threads you can read.  My suggestion would be to start by expressing appreciation, and seeing if there is any interest in selling.  A kind of 'Hey, I really love those old kettles', and see where the conversation takes you.  Much more friendly and less threatening than pushing in there and trying to negotiate right away.  And if they aren't interested in selling, you might leave your number with them for the future. 

Another common tactic is to offer a trade with a more modern kettle.  In fact, many of the Grillfellas perpetually keep a cleaned OTS that they picked up cheap or free for 'trade bait'.  That's often mighty appealing to someone who is looking at a greasy old kettle every weekend.
This! ^^^^^
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
That's right mike.  This is my go to.
A Wonderful Family!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
  That's often mighty appealing to someone who is looking at a greasy old kettle every weekend.

I'd be unswayed.......................I love my greasy old kettles....................... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
I love your greasy kettles too, buckie, but I don't think either one of us would be considered 'normal'.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.