Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Transporting Hot Coals SJG  (Read 2481 times)

Bonar

• Smokey Joe
Transporting Hot Coals SJG
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
Grill Team, general question on transporting a Smokey Joe Gold after a cook. How long will the SJG take to cool off for transport after a cook? I am generally cooking with one full single layer of coals across the bottom. For other condition assume fast high heat cook of a few items like steaks and hotdogs then shutting down dampers while really hot. Anyone have experience on how long it takes in rough numbers of minutes?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Transporting Hot Coals SJG
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
to be safe 45 to 60 min.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
Don't transport hot coals!  Not even an ember. 
I would just dump the coals in a bucket or aluminum pan and hit them with a lot of water.  Some parks even have a hot coal receptacle to put your coals in if that's where you're going.  Check before hand.
I wouldn't try to take recently burned charcoal in a car.  Bar-b-cue good, Car-b-que not so much.  The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning whilst driving would also put a damper on the end of an otherwise fine day. 
I'm taking my 18 to the beach at the end of the month and I'm bringing a metal pan and a water bucket just to put the coals out.  Er on the side of caution!

WTB 18 fruit

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
A bucket of sand puts them out pretty quick too
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Bonar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Thx for info; so title "transporting hot coals" was not best choice. Goal was to know when cool enough to handle for transport, got that it may be in 45 to 60 minute range from feedback. May not be at location to dump coals or water around. So like the sand idea. I will be transporting in pickup bed with no cover or shell. Thinking of making a custom box out of plywood with plywood encased completely in steel both inside and out. This transport box will handle warm SJG and with layer of wood between steel outside of box will be cool and safe.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
I just plan ahead , if I have to bail right after cooking I take a gasser , otherwise I factor in an hour cool down time . Get yourself a metal bucket with a lid , I have a five gallon one I bring just in case.

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs