Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tag team match part III  (Read 3566 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
So to continue where ATS and buckie left off, here's my on going smoke.

Found a 4lb shoulder marked down last night and I've been wanting some good que lately. I scooped it up and thought hey I've got the perfect redhead for you to meet back at the house. She's damn fine too(although needs a shower)

I got the fire rolling using the snake method, I seem to always start with a few too little coals I added about 3 more from the pizza cook and that boosted me up to 250.

Rubbed down the pork with a rub I made up a few weeks ago. Then shook on some store bought to finish it up.

Here it is hitting the grill 9:00pm

As a Father's Day gift I got a remote thermometer, it's not a super expensive one. But matches my weber digital thermometer on temp so I put it to work, and added a water pan earlier in the cook around 9:45.

FF to 3am temp is 153, the lid comes off for the third time. Grill temp 215, shoulder temp 153.  Fuse 50% left. Third wheel opened up some to bring the temp up.

Looking good, first time cooking low and slow on an 18.5 and a daisy wheel. So far this has been hassle free and easy going.

Back to the delicious fat rendering and smoking for the pork, while I go in and work..
 To be continued..

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »
5am update kettle is rocking along at 253 and pork is 163.. Going to head back to bed... Looks like pork sandwiches for breakfast!

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tag team match part III
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:58:16 AM »

"Looks like pork sandwiches for breakfast!"

Dang, my taglines are all filled up!!!!

Crispy, crunchy outside, moist & tender inside......don't get no better !!!!

& on an 18 to boot !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:27 AM »
Oh boy, that looks delicious!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:49 AM »
Just woke up, pork at 138 degrees with no fire opps! I knew it would be close but it didn't make it to the finish line. I'm reloading now, looks like we are going into extra innings with this one..

My charcoal stash is very close to the end. I've been trying to hold out for the July 4th sales before a major stock up. Normally I would have added more coals to power through.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »
"Just woke up, pork at 138 degrees with no fire opps! "

This is where that "forgiving" part comes in........

check the bone, you may already be done !!!!!!

"My charcoal stash is very close to the end."

If you have chunks or splits, go all wood?

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:56 AM »
Well I finally pulled it off the grill at 198 around 10am

Here's the pork right before I pulled it

It's covered and resting now on the stove can't wait for a sandwich!

Who's next?!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »
Here's the smoke ring

And breakfast with my favorite sauce tapatio!

Off topic sorta, my son and I have been watching bbq pitmasters when I find it on tv. Last night and this morning he says "Dad is bbq pitmasters done yet?" Crazy little mind of his.

Since most of the contestants on the show have nicknames I decided mine would be "Pit Beef" but you don't say it like pit beef it more like pit beeeeef! And my sons name would be junior beeeef! What can I say I gotta have fun while I'm cooking!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
I'm a night owl but would be worthless at 3am and dead-man-walking at 5am for sure.

Nice! You made that look easy. Using a snaked 18 -- we need more of these examples around here that demonstrate what 18s can do beyond burgers and dogs.

One question. The water pan, is that a metal cigar box?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Tag team match part III
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
Lol no not a cigar box it was a Christmas Tin full of peanuts. Was the only metal pan I could find in a hurry.

Yes the 18 is somewhat on the back burner for some folks. I'm using as much as possible. To use less coal and because I'm in love with that redhead...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
Nice! You made that look easy. Using a snaked 18 -- we need more of these examples around here that demonstrate what 18s can do beyond burgers and dogs.

Not to be kickin' a ded dawg, but ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/

Great lookin' Pawk, Chasing !!!!!
Nice & fall apart smokey pork-a-lisious porknography on the pics, too !!!!

OK.....Addicted & Chasing, the Smoke Bros.  are done......Who's Next ?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
Thanks and I hadn't seen that old thread. This stuff is universal so there's no problem reiterating.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch