Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: DirectDrive on February 15, 2014, 04:18:13 PM

Title: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: DirectDrive on February 15, 2014, 04:18:13 PM
This has been probably asked a thousand times but I couldn't find anything definitive in my searches.
I have about a 1"(+) diameter ding on a WSM lid that I would like to repair.
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: LightningBoldtz on February 16, 2014, 03:35:14 AM
There are many ways to repair older kettles depending on the issue,  I am not sure there is a way to repair porcelain.

I could be wrong.
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: zavod44 on February 16, 2014, 05:26:12 AM
I would say, it's real tough to get something to stick and stay nice.  You might have an advantage since the WSM doesn't get super hot...Maybe some of the high heat grill paint, or that VHT caliper paint...I have never had any luck with that stuff...maybe someone else has
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: MacEggs on February 16, 2014, 05:48:23 AM
Quote from: zavod44 on February 16, 2014, 05:26:12 AM
Maybe some of the high heat grill paint, or that VHT caliper paint.


Ya, I have used this stuff on the bowl of a red 18 I restored last September.
So far, no issues. And that kettle has been used nearly every weekend since I put it into the rotation. Cold weather and all.
I didn't use any on the lid. As Brian said, it should be fine since it's the lid.

EDIT: It wasn't a perfect match, but pretty damn close.  :)

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_2393.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_2393.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: zavod44 on February 16, 2014, 05:51:24 AM
I'll have to try that....
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: 5280Jeff on February 16, 2014, 07:09:15 AM
Quote from: MacEggs on February 16, 2014, 05:48:23 AM
Quote from: zavod44 on February 16, 2014, 05:26:12 AM
Maybe some of the high heat grill paint, or that VHT caliper paint.


Ya, I have used this stuff on the bowl of a red 18 I restored last September.
So far, no issues. And that kettle has been used nearly every weekend since I put it into the rotation. Cold weather and all.
I didn't use any on the lid. As Brian said, it should be fine since it's the lid.

EDIT: It wasn't a perfect match, but pretty damn close.  :)

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_2393.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_2393.jpg.html)

I'm working on a redhead right now. Did you use VHTs high heat primer also? What kind of prep work did you do?
Title: Re: Weber black porcelain repair
Post by: MacEggs on February 16, 2014, 09:41:36 AM
Quote from: 5280Jeff on February 16, 2014, 07:09:15 AMI'm working on a redhead right now. Did you use VHTs high heat primer also? What kind of prep work did you do?


I did not use any high heat primer. I gave the bowl a very good scrub with 0000 steel wool and a hot water / dish detergent mix.
I had used some JB Weld high temperature putty for some small holes that were present around the leg sockets. 2 coats of paint.
Here is the thread on that RRR.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/need-help-advice-guidance-with-this-red-18/


I should note: I have been using homemade charcoal baskets since I finished the restore and started using the kettle.
So, no charcoal has been directly against the wall of the bowl. I suppose this may have helped maintain the finish.

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_2484.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_2484.jpg.html)

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_2486.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_2486.jpg.html)

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_2485.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_2485.jpg.html)