Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: saxart on February 12, 2014, 02:51:21 AM

Title: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: saxart on February 12, 2014, 02:51:21 AM
I may have an opportunity to do some indirect cooking on the SJP this weekend, which would be a new trick for this old dog.   Any tricks or tips from those here who have done this before?   (I know airflow can be an issue on these kettles)

I'm thinking of putting charcoal basket next to one open vent, meat on the other side with lid vent above...   (Sound good?)
Title: Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on February 12, 2014, 03:08:20 AM
You should be fine with your plan, Art. I think the airflow is only an issue if you are trying to maintain high heat. Are you going for a long cook/smoke or just something quick?
Title: Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: saxart on February 12, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Thanks PBE...

Yeah, we're probably only going to be looking for LOW-N-SLOW cooking.   Maybe I'll do an 'experiment cook' on it tomorrow night to see how it chugs along.
Title: Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: Duke on February 12, 2014, 09:46:06 PM
 I couldn't find the original thread, but this diagram has helped many.

(http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7994/8vmq.jpg) (http://img585.imageshack.us/i/8vmq.jpg/)
Title: Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: saxart on February 13, 2014, 03:15:21 AM
Duke-
Thanks for posting that.   Did you make that diagram?

It's funny, I was thinking of doing the "third variation" as shown on the far RIGHT in that diagram with a twist.  I was thinking of piling the coals near an OPENED side vent, and putting the opened lid vent on the opposite side (above the meat) to draw the smoke and warm air across the meat, then up and out.

I'm guessing it's just "6-of one, half-a-dozen of the other"...   LOL   
Title: Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
Post by: mike.stavlund on February 13, 2014, 06:14:18 AM
Art, I too have heard people complaining about maintaining good temps with side vents, but I just haven't seen it.  I've done a lot of indirect cooking on my JJ (now that I think of it, I've only done a tiny bit of direct cooking on it), and it's always worked really well.  I simply take one of the old-fashioned wire-style baskets and put it at one of the non-vent sides of the kettle, line my food up on the opposite side, open all vents all the way, and it roasts up whatever I put in there in the 350 to 400 range.