Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Johnpv on August 29, 2013, 06:56:40 AM

Title: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Johnpv on August 29, 2013, 06:56:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, but for your kettles that are in active duty, how often do you clean them?  Are you using just hot soapy (dish soap?) water, or is there something better to clean them with?

I tend to at least lean out the bottom of the cattle from ash either right after I use it, or with in a few days.  It's lead me to discover one flaw in the one touch design, they need to let the fingers travel more so that their range overlaps a bit.  I always end up with little triangles of Ash that the fingers don't get to that I need to do by hand. 

This is my first Weber Kettle and I want it to last a life time, so I'm just wondering how often I should be cleaning it inside and out, to make sure that happens.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Thunder71 on August 29, 2013, 07:28:59 AM
I'm new to the Weber kettle as well and not sure if I'm going to do a full clean every fall or every spring, but definitely one of the two. Day to day maintenance I just wipe the outside down and get the ash in the bowl whenever it looks like it's clumping up in those areas you mention.

I do take a grill pad and scrub the inside of the bowl and lid now and then as well.

Enjoy!
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Harbormaster on August 29, 2013, 07:43:44 AM
I cook on the older three wheelers, and sweep them out with a whisk broom after every cook. I scrape down the entire bowl every other cook or so to try and keep things clean. If there's caked on ash and burnt fat/cheese/smegma on the bottom, that gets scraped out when I clean the ashes.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Bman on August 29, 2013, 08:55:23 AM
A full tear-down cleaning when I get a new-to-me grill.  I like to get it close to looking like new and that way I get up close and personal with it.  After that, it's just ashes, scrape out fat/cheese/smegma and a wipe down every so often.  If the lid starts to 'peel' then I bust out the wire brush.  And yeah, that little triangle of ash the sweepers leave drives me nuts also.  lol
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: landgraftj on August 29, 2013, 09:29:57 AM
I clean my cookers in the fall or spring really well. Otherwise just wipe them down and clean out the ashes after each cook.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Duke on August 29, 2013, 10:02:04 AM
Almost never. My grills are loaded with ashes inside because I don't use ashpans. Funny thing is I had a grease fire a couple weeks ago after I loaded it with lump. ;D I will look for the pictures I took. Hey it's self cleaning! What more can you ask for? ;)
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: 1buckie on August 29, 2013, 11:25:19 AM

How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?


Rain.....every winter..........


  That's not smegma, that's flavorin' !!!!!
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Thunder71 on August 29, 2013, 11:45:18 AM
I'm glad this thread was started... makes me wonder if a deep cleaning every year is even necessary, or could potentially do more harm than good.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Dave O on August 29, 2013, 03:13:18 PM
I hate to admit it but I just googled "smegma" - What the @#$% is goin on with your kettles ???
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: jamesnomore on August 29, 2013, 04:53:04 PM
Quote from: Dave O on August 29, 2013, 03:13:18 PM
I hate to admit it but I just googled "smegma" - What the @#$% is goin on with your kettles ???

Bwahaha I have tons of head cheese in my grill to!!! :o
Title: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Chasing_smoke on August 29, 2013, 06:30:18 PM
I just sweep out the ash with the one touch. If its getting a fair layer of soot I take a dust brush and sweep it out. I guess I'm a once or twice a year deep clean guy. When I get a new grill I deep clean it and start using it again.  That way I know it's my ash in the kettle.


"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: javahog2002 on August 29, 2013, 07:31:46 PM
I clean them when I buy them. Not too often after that now that I have  about 16 weber cookers.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Craig on August 29, 2013, 07:52:20 PM
I clean them when they are new to me, unless they come to me already cleaned. Otherwise the occasional wipe down and 0000 wool treatment. Sometimes  I get my leaf blower and blow out the leaves and spider webs that develop on the inner side of the wheels (more of a problem with the plastic wheels). On my daisy wheeler's I use my ash sweeper gloves and sweep out the ash in a circular motion. I also wash my ash pans once in a while. I cannot stand ash mountains piling up inside an ash catcher pan. I empty mine after each use even if its just got a little bit on it. My gold kettle I only empty once every couple cooks.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Johnpv on August 30, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Interesting to see everyone's preferences.

Which brings up another question from me.  How do you guys clean your dirty vents? 

IE this

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/9631104784_3e395bcc1f_o.jpg)
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Troy on August 30, 2013, 08:28:35 AM
for the vents - some fine steel wool.
for stains like that, i might use some easy off or other cleaner.

for the bowl - a plastic putty knife to scrape
spray it down with easy off (generic kind from dollar tree), put it in a garbage bag and let it sit in the sun for a day.
Spray it down again the next day, let it sit for an hour, then come back with the scraper and a hose. ITS LIKE MAGIC

then i pull out the steel wool again for the tough stuff.

the outside just gets a wipe down, but i'll use 0000 steel wool on the outside with some degreaser if it needs it.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: 1buckie on August 30, 2013, 08:36:37 AM
Quote from: Johnpv on August 30, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Interesting to see everyone's preferences.

Which brings up another question from me.  How do you guys clean your dirty vents? 

IE this

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/9631104784_3e395bcc1f_o.jpg)

That's a nice one.....Marty's gonna love that pic....... 8)
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: colin.p on September 01, 2013, 08:14:45 AM
Quote from: Johnpv on August 30, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Interesting to see everyone's preferences.

Which brings up another question from me.  How do you guys clean your dirty vents? 

That's what my dog is for. :P
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: cbpeck on September 01, 2013, 08:22:48 PM
Quote from: Johnpv on August 30, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Interesting to see everyone's preferences.

Which brings up another question from me.  How do you guys clean your dirty vents? 

IE this

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/9631104784_3e395bcc1f_o.jpg)

Personally, I think that vent is gorgeous. I probably wouldn't clean it one bit.

When I buy a used kettle it gets an initial once over with OOOO steel wool & Bar Keepers Friend. After that, all of my kettles get regular wipe downs every few uses with Simple Green or a similar product. I have a bottle of Weber's Exterior Grill Cleaner, but it's worthless, IMO. The vents usually get left alone because I happen to like the smoked, almost case hardened, look.
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: mtonto20 on September 06, 2013, 11:17:26 PM
I go with the Al Bundy method, which is never.  One of my favorite episodes ever was when Peg dumped the ashes out of the grill and Al Bundy explained that years of built up ashes was where the flavor was.....

(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/jwe3689/al_bundy.jpg) (http://media.photobucket.com/user/jwe3689/media/al_bundy.jpg.html)
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on September 07, 2013, 08:43:56 AM
Quote from: mtonto20 on September 06, 2013, 11:17:26 PM
I go with the Al Bundy method, which is never.  One of my favorite episodes ever was when Peg dumped the ashes out of the grill and Al Bundy explained that years of built up ashes was where the flavor was.....

(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/jwe3689/al_bundy.jpg) (http://media.photobucket.com/user/jwe3689/media/al_bundy.jpg.html)


Here's another good one from Al Bundy.

http://youtu.be/inubkn_TmUs
Title: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: Craig on September 07, 2013, 09:54:32 AM
I forgot about that scene! ;D Love that show!


As for the vent, I'd be lying if I said that it needed to be cleaned. It gives it a little character. I left my brown vent a little smokey from when I did some wood fired pizzas last night. (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/08/a5u7ejyd.jpg)
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: mtonto20 on September 07, 2013, 02:46:36 PM
LOL, I was trying to find the video last night, thanks a lot for that link.  I wonder who has Al's redhead or  was a studio prop or something.....
Title: Re: How often do you guys clean your kettles, and with what?
Post by: mtonto20 on September 07, 2013, 02:51:06 PM
Here is the full episode....

http://youtu.be/MRwce_h_09Q

If you notice the old style ash pan is inside the grill with the lid leaning on the ground.  It has a lot of last years ashes and grease but it is definitely a Weber.  One of the seminal Weber TV moments if you ask me.  The grill was a integral part of the storyline of the entire episode.  I also love how Peg lights a bunch of cigarettes to try and get ashes, I always remembered that part too......