I have an old Weber Performer that's been stored in my garage for the past 8 years. It was a hand-me-down from my dad who got it when his neighbor moved. His neighbor happened to be one of the sons of Weber's founder George Stephen. When I look at the vent on the cover of the gray kettle I see that it's stamped with an "N" which, from what I've seen here, indicates that the grill was from 1991. Was Weber actually making these grills commercially at that time or am I in possession of one of the prototype grills that was made from an older kettle?
The grill is in good shape with some underlying rust bubbling under the cart's paint and some chipping enamel on the lid's equator. I think with just a little work I could get this grill looking great. I can post some pictures this weekend.
Any thoughts on the value or if this is in fact some early prototype? I'm probably interested in selling this, but I'd love for one of you Weber's aficionados to care for it. (I too am a Weber fan -- I have a 20 year old Black Kettle that's in great shape and a 10 year old Genesis Silver B.)
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy265/david_gray5/photo_zps656a37b3.jpg
Welcome to the club, and I hope you stick around! The Performer was introduced in 1990, so it's an early one for sure. Lots of interest in what we call the SS here. (SS for stainless steel table) Pics are always welcome! Let's see it! There have to be prototypes sitting around here and there, and with a neighbor like that you never know. Was his name Jim?
We try not to discuss values here - it's so subjective. Browse around and you'll see what people are paying, but it's a wide range; from free on up. Better to just clean it up and use it - they are great kettles to cook on.
Marty
DG - Welcome to the forum. I can't answer when the Performer came out, but I'm certain someone here can.
Does it have the 'typical' look like my '98 below? Would love to see pics of what you have.
(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/Back%20Yard%20Grillin/F674A1C4-EC6B-4367-8E3F-C3D122A0F51C-945-0000005A3679EE15.jpg)
Yes pictures please. This would be cool to see.
N code gray makes a lot of sense. I do not recall seeing 91 gray performers elsewhere though. Interesting.
Hey, If I were you, I would keep it. It's a kettle with great history. I haven't seen a grey SS either. They grey ones from Williams and Sonoma 2005 performer were darker than the N grey. The value can be anywhere since there is no data point for rare or one off kettles. The market rate for a clean SS though is $100-150 complete and in full working condition with gas. It often goes for less though depending on condition and location.
Please share some pics of the kettle for us all to enjoy!
Value is very subjective, putting out figures sounds more like a bid than an estimate. There are a lot of "experts" here, but being prudent before valuing items, especially sight unseen, shows there are some experienced folks here as well.
Sorry having trouble posting pic. Any advice to post from a mac?
Download PIC to photobucket or similar, from there copy and paste to post
Quote from: DG632 on August 31, 2013, 05:13:16 AM
Sorry having trouble posting pic. Any advice to post from a mac?
Send me the pic and I'll post it for you. :)
I think I was finally able to post a link to a picture of the grill from Photobucket (at the bottom of my modified original post). I apologize, but I can't seem to show the actual photo itself in the post or replies or even attach it in emails to those of you who have offered.
Send a picture to a member, still didn't post.
Here we go gang.....
(http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy265/david_gray5/photo_zps656a37b3.jpg)
Oh yeah! Now that is sweet!
Ken
Typical N code gray. It does seem to have the performer/mt style tall handle, and near as i can tell those are original bowl brackets, so I tend to think it is a production n code gray, which of course I have never heard of. The lid bale is missing rollers, i wonder if they were ever there.
Quote from: G$ on September 02, 2013, 07:02:49 PM
The lid bale is missing rollers, i wonder if they were ever there.
My 98 red MT was missing the rollers on the lid bale. Not sure if they were ever there either.
Ken
Ken, i know that MTs came with rollers from their first year on, I assume performers did too. Would be ironic if the Stephens family lost them when putting the performer together....
That is nice one.
Just checked the grill...there is a roller in the back. There is no evidence of one ever having been on the front though.
After some thought, I've decided to sell the grill. I'm going to post it on the "trading post" of this site only. I hoping it will go to someone who can appreciate the grill's age and interesting story.
Quote from: DG632 on August 29, 2013, 06:39:46 AM
(http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy265/david_gray5/photo_zps656a37b3.jpg)
You were so close on this! You just needed to add the IMG tags. (The button right under the 'B' button in the compose window.)
Quote from: DG632 on September 06, 2013, 01:26:23 PM
After some thought, I've decided to sell the grill. I'm going to post it on the "trading post" of this site only. I hoping it will go to someone who can appreciate the grill's age and interesting story.
That's great. I'm sure someone will take good care of that kettle with a story. I would love that unique ss myself but I'll let the locals have dibs.