So we were in Sam's on Saturday browsing the meat area and Kellee said "Tomahawks! Let's get one!" This was our first and it was really good. Seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, did a reverse sear on the Green SSP - took it to 105F then seared one minute per side flipping maybe 4 times to 120F. Slow n Sear with Jealous Devil lump was perfect for the job. I learned a few things.... Next time I'll dry brine to get some salt penetrated and season a little heavier. Steak was great but was more prime rib-esque especially in the lean areas. Spinalis was the star and the rib had some awesome tastiness... can't wait for the next one. Also had a pork butt on all day and baked a potato with it. Been a while....
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
looking grate, haven't done one in a while. You definitely want to dry brine for a good while to impact flavor
Quote from: JEBIV on December 04, 2023, 07:21:14 AM
looking grate, haven't done one in a while. You definitely want to dry brine for a good while to impact flavor
Thanks so much...... Always learning, always fun!
Looks very delish and fulfilling!
Quote from: RRRanger99 on December 04, 2023, 02:09:17 PM
Looks very delish and fulfilling!
Thank you sir! The perfectionist in me wishes I had laid out the slices charred side toward the camera. Looks a bit like a pile of raw meat on the plate lol....
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Great cook on that steak color looks perfect, nice old grill in very good shape
Quote from: Easy on December 04, 2023, 05:26:21 PM
Great cook on that steak color looks perfect, nice old grill in very good shape
Thank you! It's always a pleasure cooking on this SSP. Funny, I put a tumbleweed in the SNS then remembered it has gas assist lol....
Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Looks great! A wonderful meal for two.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Michael, definitely a learning curve there for such a large steak. I look forward to a lot of practice with these to get it right lol....
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I like those lights you put on your SSP. And yeah, that steak looks delicious.
If you have a wsm and the rib hanger, drill a hole in the bone and hang it! I did one that way and it was amazing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 05, 2023, 02:28:21 PM
I like those lights you put on your SSP. And yeah, that steak looks delicious.
Thank you sir. The lights are magnetic and work wonderfully with the SSP and the summit.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Quote from: michaelmilitello on December 05, 2023, 06:00:07 PM
If you have a wsm and the rib hanger, drill a hole in the bone and hang it! I did one that way and it was amazing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a 22" WSM and rib hanging rack. Great idea!
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Quote from: bamakettles on December 05, 2023, 06:27:55 PM
Quote from: michaelmilitello on December 05, 2023, 06:00:07 PM
If you have a wsm and the rib hanger, drill a hole in the bone and hang it! I did one that way and it was amazing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a 22" WSM and rib hanging rack. Great idea!
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Just makes sure to use some butcher twine to tighten it up! Fun experiment. Keep the temperature under 300.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great looking meal and SSP!
cheers
Quote from: AZ2FL on December 06, 2023, 04:42:41 AM
Great looking meal and SSP!
cheers
Thanks Robert! Hoping to apply some learned lessons on the next one.... Will be spinning a prime rib for new years so the next one of these will certainly be next year.
Cheers Bud