Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 02, 2023, 11:20:07 AM

Title: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 02, 2023, 11:20:07 AM
Hey everyone!  Hope you all are having an awesome day!  I am going today to pick up my first Weber kettle!  Been looking for a used one for months and hit the jackpot!  I ordered the vortex and it will be here tomorrow!  What should be my first cook?  I got chicken thighs on hand and thought I may try them with the vortex but I am open to suggestions!! 

1 year old Weber Performer
Charcoal chimney
grill gloves
Grill cover
2 bags of Royal Oak charcoal
$100



Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: JEBIV on March 02, 2023, 11:25:18 AM
Not a thing wrong with chicken thighs
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 02, 2023, 11:31:18 AM
So true some of my favorite BBQ food!  I saw Cooking with Ry YT channel recipe Chili Honey Lime Chicken Thighs with the vortex and was thinking about giving that a go! 

Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: SixZeroFour on March 02, 2023, 11:37:53 AM
Great looking setup! Fire up those thighs!
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: JEBIV on March 02, 2023, 11:39:35 AM
great recipe, fire it up !!
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: bamakettles on March 02, 2023, 12:03:15 PM
I vote for thighs using the vortex.  I love Ry's videos - never miss them!  You'll appreciate the side table with your nice setup.  Have fun, that's the name of the game....
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 02, 2023, 12:18:08 PM
Thanks everyone!  We got a unanimous vote for the thighs!!  Not sure if I will use Ry's glaze or come up with me cause own but it is on like Donkey Kong!  Will post pics when I complete the cook!  Ya'll have a wonderful weekend and be safe!  God bless you all!
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 03, 2023, 12:18:10 PM
Vortex should be at home waiting for me!  Just a quick question, do I have to do an initial burn in for the vortex or can I just start cooking with it right away?  I tried to search for and answer to this so please forgive me if this has already been addressed and answered. 
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: Chesapeake Weber on March 03, 2023, 12:19:48 PM
Vortex advises yes.  I think it's stated on the info sent with the unit.  Doing a burn in on a new to you grill isn't a bad idea either!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: JIMSMOKES on March 03, 2023, 04:17:06 PM
As hot as the vortex gets. It'll only take 15 min to burn off any machining oils. Couldn't hurt to heat up a new to you grill at the same time.
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 03, 2023, 04:51:07 PM
Thanks, the vortex did not say anything about it.  I appreciate the input.
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 04, 2023, 02:20:11 PM
Ok today I fired up my Weber for the first time!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 04, 2023, 02:20:32 PM
Thighs were EPIC!!! 


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 04, 2023, 02:24:35 PM
Sun is now dipping down and the last batch is almost done!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: ASpitzer on March 04, 2023, 06:26:32 PM
The Vortex makes them almost fool proof. They look wonderful. Just picked up 3 packages of thighs at the grocery this afternoon. 89 cents a pound. Vortex bound.
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: Chesapeake Weber on March 04, 2023, 07:03:53 PM

Quote from: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 04, 2023, 02:24:35 PM
Sun is now dipping down and the last batch is almost done!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

@BronzeAgeBBQ for the win!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 05, 2023, 03:43:12 AM
Awesome!  Share pics I would love to see!
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: bamakettles on March 05, 2023, 04:13:07 AM
Fine looking thighs!  The Weber kettle with vortex never disappoints....


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What Should Be My First Cook
Post by: JEBIV on March 06, 2023, 11:26:49 AM
thighs look grate !!