Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Troy on June 21, 2022, 08:17:56 PM

Title: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: Troy on June 21, 2022, 08:17:56 PM
Can you believe the Weber Kettle Club is 10 years old?

When we started collecting the history was unknown.

There were single-digit known rare kettles to exist and many yet to even be discovered.

We didn't know what all was out there or when they were made - but we knew they were magical.

Ten years later Weber has released MULTIPLE editions of collectible colors - a shining example of the WKC's impact.

Today I do most of my grilling on the 26" glen blue - a grill I refer to as the WKC edition.
I tried to make it happen at one point, but my visions for the WKC future were probably too optomistic at the time ;)

I still have a couple limes and my OG glen blue, but they haven't cooked in a few years.

How about you? What's in your collection and what are you cooking on?
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: dazzo on June 21, 2022, 09:26:03 PM
Thank you Troy!
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: JEBIV on June 22, 2022, 02:26:53 AM
I have been on this fun ride for quite some time. 1st grill was a new 2010 26er now the collection is 100 plus, oldest is a '56 18 black, most cooks are on the WKC edition 26 or the black 26er but I love bringing the older grills in all the time for a cook. Still looking to add some special ones to the collection. @jebivswife and I are looking forward to the 10 anniversary meetup in Oct. !!
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: cigarman20 on June 22, 2022, 02:41:55 AM
Yes, Thank you Troy! While I wasn't here at the start, I have truly enjoyed the five years I've been involved with this hobby and appreciate all that you do!!

My daily driver is my 26" as well (wishing it was a GB). For me, it's the perfect machine. 



Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: Kain on June 22, 2022, 03:58:58 AM
Thanks Troy for everything you do! (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220622/1e2eb0c69bf980585dea9afce6ea38da.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: michaelmilitello on June 22, 2022, 05:14:22 AM
I've been onboard for 5 years.  I have about 35 kettles, give or take a few.   I rotate through my vintage mbh 18 and 22s in the warmer months (March to October).  My SSP and now summit get winter work.   I probably cook on a Weber 250-300 days a year. 

I've met some grate people and made lasting friendships, which is the enduring part of the WKC.   This is a fun hobby and I'm glad to be a part of it. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220622/b99298b424226e9263a766d6123c3e3a.jpg)
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: dwnthehatch on June 22, 2022, 06:42:47 AM
I joined April 26, 2013 after acquiring my first freebie.  Been collecting non-stop since then. I sold nearly all of my vintage kettles to cover the cost of the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center 3 yrs ago. I said I would focus on cooking instead of collecting. Here I am 40+ kettles deep again. I mainly cook on the Summit Charcoal but occasionally pull out a kettle.
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: crowderjd on June 22, 2022, 08:11:04 AM
I too use the Glen Blue 26er a ton...it's just so easy, especially with my slow-n-sear.  Use my SS Performer a lot as well...and I'm ashamed to admit it, but the Genesis Jr. gets a ton of use as well for brats and burgers.  Thanks @Troy and the other OG crew for getting this started.  It's been a fun ride.
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: watkinsb87 on June 22, 2022, 02:09:50 PM
I didn't get into it until last year, but man what a fun and rewarding hobby this is. I've only bought 2 kettles. The red 77 and the 26 lid and bowl were given to me by members, which is a great example of what an awesome group this is. Here's a pic from a big cook in the spring where I had all 4 going. Thanks Troy!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: jcnaz on June 22, 2022, 03:08:35 PM
My 26 and my thumbscrew Texan have been getting a lot of work lately.
The 26 came to me through some hard work by @G$.
The infamous "Agent X" hooked me up with the Texan!
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: Cellar2ful on June 22, 2022, 03:13:11 PM
Good to see you posting again Troy.  The Forum has missed you.

In February; 2016, I joined the WKC (member #12139) looking for information regarding an old, faded black 22" MBH given to me by a relative. At that time I owned one other kettle, a EE Code red mist MT I bought new in 1999.  I haven't really counted lately but I know I have more than 25.   

I'm usually just cooking for two (wife and I) so my daily driver is my "Black Cherry" (18" L Code).  Inspiration for the name comes from the dramatic color change when cooking on it. I added an ash bucket, SS ash sweeps, vintage wheels and some really distinctive Zavodd Cedar handles. 

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/DSC09177.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/DSC09189.jpg)

Big thank you to Troy and all the original WKC members who did all of the research we now refer back to. 
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: AS in SA on June 22, 2022, 03:19:35 PM
I joined in August 2013 - not sure why it took me so long - I'd previously spent time on tvwbb site and was aware when WKC launched.  Really have 2 daily drivers - special edition red 22" from 2018 and a J code 26" fleetwood (black - my first acquired "grail") - jumbo-joe/outrider that gets used a handful of times a year too.  Had about 20 or so kettles at one point, but consolidated to these 3 grills a few years back.  Then the glen-blue 26 came out and couldn't say no (still in box in garage), then the aristocrat I'd wanted for so long popped up (also unassembled in garage)... really don't need 3 26rs, but here I am.  Thanks @Troy and everyone else for building the go-to source for all things Weber kettles...
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: jkolantern on June 22, 2022, 05:25:33 PM
I've only been here 9.5 years but in that time had a lot of laughs, met some nice people (including from all the way in Australia! What's up @kendoll ) and acquired way too many grills.  I missed out on the WKC edition but cook on my black 26er (aka the PeopleCooker) with beautiful Zavod handles, my WSM and a red SSP. Sadly, most of the time it's actually on my redhead 90s Genesis. At my FIL house it's almost all C&B green performer.

Thanks to the OGs for building (and maintaining) this place.
Title: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: bamakettles on June 23, 2022, 03:44:03 AM
About 2.5 years in and I'm really enjoying the hobby and the great grilling community that participates here.  I enjoy all my kettles, but am pretty much spoiled by the one touch clean out system and the control I have with the vents.  I cook mostly on my 26" Glen Blue, a Blue OTP and my red LE.  I'll be getting my feet wet on the Summit Charcoal grill soon which could take over as a daily driver, we'll see.  Thank you Troy and all members who have advanced this hobby!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: DrewZ on June 23, 2022, 04:06:53 AM
This summer marks five years for me.  My daily driver is a modded SSP that currently houses an Ivory kettle and has previously housed many others (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=48622.msg475790#msg475790):
(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M5cJAW6Ko_SL1aDpYLvT-zrsdpOiAFrBQXDWBFcRT3WGJMFd4nb_d3QRl77jEl2Oy0ozykt4TFh8GDZM7E_6DhQW--zyafsBP5vVodwt59_61DRIz_d2JrJREbgnXMyU7x2LBEEtYRg=w800)

My high-water mark was the COVID-summer of 2020:
(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4qtFrTS15rDSU2mhq2Y0QgtVwWOgb7lXIavBMKNnrTfeUMYCKSyGKOLIz4aqhhl70rsVZVtb4JanNc2iN-waY5LFbncBEmAPArWyIb7etpn4pkxFJFokNH3GiTxPmQ55q6O19DDvXgs=w800)

Looking forward to whatever comes next.
Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: 502BBQ on June 24, 2022, 08:18:12 AM
Thank you to Troy and all involved with creating this space.
I've been here almost 2 years, and have gained a wealth of knowledge (and a lot of Weber's! )
These ones are my usual suspects, with the Glen Blue probably seeing most of the action.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
Post by: Erich on July 10, 2022, 12:18:12 PM
I found WKC almost 7.5 years ago! At that time I had a Black H code 22 " kettle and a Black Gen2 Performer. My dad had a Red Pat Pending that he got when I was in 6 th grade.

Fast forward to today.  Thanks to WKC I have 4 kettles.   A copper performer that I integrated into my own custom cart is my daily cooker. The glen blue 26 (thanks WKC for inspiring this retro color) gets pulled out for parties and big cooks.  Did 2 racks of pork ribs for the fourth on it.  My Dad has passed and the red kettle is in my stable.
I still have the performer and plan to give it to one of my kids when he has a place that allows charcoal.  The H code went to my other son a couple years ago.