Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Winz on June 24, 2013, 09:00:28 AM

Title: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: Winz on June 24, 2013, 09:00:28 AM
Camping this weekend - cooked Paella for 4.  The jumbo joe works perfectly with a 16" paella pan, leaving just enough room for air to vent out around the sides of the pan.  I used half a Weber chimney starter with Kingsford - perfect heat.  For recipe, I use Tyler Florences Paella recipe (can be found on the food network site).  Cut the rice down to 2 cups, and assuming you are using good bomba Paella rice, you will need 5 cups of liquid.  We had just enough left over to cook up some fried rice the next morning for breakfast.

(http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6e42543bb2fb6b44d2d1d56daacfda2670f7350.JPG)
Title: Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: Duke on June 24, 2013, 09:02:11 AM
Fantastic!
Title: Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on June 24, 2013, 09:42:30 AM
<goes off to Google "16" paella pan">

And yes that does look fantastic. I've been hemming and hawing around for gill pan ideas and this looks really good. It's got fairly deep, but not too deep sides, and handles.

But I gotta ask, wouldn't it be better to have that size pan on a 22 so you can maybe close the lid?
Title: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: Craig on June 24, 2013, 09:47:26 AM
Thanks to Shaun, I have discovered the versatility of these. I use mine all the time. The one I have fits on the SJ, 18 & 22. I can measure it when I get home from work.
Title: Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: Winz on June 24, 2013, 09:53:55 AM
Quotewouldn't it be better to have that size pan on a 22 so you can maybe close the lid?

Closing the lid is not necessary for Paella - in fact it is a dish "traditionally" cooked over an open fire.

If you were going to use a Paella Pan for something else where the lid of your kettle would need to be closed, then you would need to take into account the handles of the pan when measuring for the right size pan.
Title: Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: Tim in PA on June 24, 2013, 10:10:31 AM
I need to get me one of those pans. Is quality important? I've seen them as low as $10.
Title: Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
Post by: dazzo on June 24, 2013, 10:11:40 AM
Quote<goes off to Google "16" paella pan">

   +1