Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: HoosierKettle on January 28, 2019, 02:33:26 PM

Title: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 28, 2019, 02:33:26 PM
Outside temp is plummeting rapidly and it's very windy. I'm roasting this chicken for soup tonight. First time I've tried the vortex infrared method. The chicken is little. Organic raised here in Indiana. Updates to follow. Live action.




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: randy on January 28, 2019, 03:25:39 PM
Curious, chicken in the basement....


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 28, 2019, 03:38:55 PM

Quote from: randy on January 28, 2019, 03:25:39 PM
Curious, chicken in the basement....


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

It's not my idea. This is one of the methods that the vortex people say to do. It seems to be working ok. One hour in and the internal is 108. I maybe should have started with more the one chimney of coal. Not sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 28, 2019, 04:21:05 PM
Not really impressed. Maybe it was user error. The breast probed 157 while the leg thigh probed 145. This was after 1:50 on the grill. I'm chopping it up for soup and couldn't wait any longer.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: Travis on January 28, 2019, 04:45:00 PM
Just a guess, but probably had more to do with the weather and one chimney. I did some chicken breast today and it took twice as long.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: SMOKE FREAK on January 28, 2019, 04:47:49 PM
That is probably the only-est thing I haven't done with my Vortex...Probably because I would need to wash it first...

Cold and wind suck when cooking slow in a grill...But we gotta eat, man...We gotta eat...
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 28, 2019, 04:58:34 PM
It wasn't a problem at all. The soup turned out fantastic. I probably wouldn't roast one this way to eat alone. The dome temp read 400 the whole time but down low I'm sure it was cooking much lower. The wind and cold were certainly a factor. The skin was tough but surprisingly all the meat was fall off tender so it was a great success for soup.




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: SMOKE FREAK on January 28, 2019, 05:08:57 PM
That's actually a real purty bird...
I'm sure the soup was great...
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: Travis on January 28, 2019, 10:20:37 PM
Have to agree. That bird looks great as well as the soup. Very nice man


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: hawgheaven on January 29, 2019, 05:20:10 AM
I have never tried that vortex method. Interesting. Bird and soup look awesome!
Title: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 05:30:36 AM
Quote from: hawgheaven on January 29, 2019, 05:20:10 AM
I have never tried that vortex method. Interesting. Bird and soup look awesome!

It's one of the methods on Owens bbq

http://owensbbq.com/vortex.html

If I try it again, I think I will shove the coal tight to the outside of the vortex and maybe use more coal. Maybe the 18 for a tighter package

The breast was cooked perfect. Just needed a little more heat down low


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 03:30:41 PM
-1 wind chill. I'm on a mission now. I will not make the same mistakes as yesterday




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: Davescprktl on January 29, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
You and I cook in extremes.  You cook in negative temps.  I have cooked in the searing heat of 115º or more.  We love to cook and it's a beautiful thing.  Kudos again!
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 03:54:22 PM

Quote from: Davescprktl on January 29, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
You and I cook in extremes.  You cook in negative temps.  I have cooked in the searing heat of 115º or more.  We love to cook and it's a beautiful thing.  Kudos again!

It will be much much colder tomorrow. I can only imagine how cold the Canadian guys will be lol


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: SMOKE FREAK on January 29, 2019, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 05:30:36 AM
Quote from: hawgheaven on January 29, 2019, 05:20:10 AM
I have never tried that vortex method. Interesting. Bird and soup look awesome!

It's one of the methods on Owens bbq

http://owensbbq.com/vortex.html

If I try it again, I think I will shove the coal tight to the outside of the vortex and maybe use more coal. Maybe the 18 for a tighter package

Indeed the coals should be tight against the "V" to get the radiant heat to the bird...At least that's what I hear...Never tried it...yet....
Title: Re: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 04:39:20 PM

Quote from: SMOKE FREAK on January 29, 2019, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 05:30:36 AM
Quote from: hawgheaven on January 29, 2019, 05:20:10 AM
I have never tried that vortex method. Interesting. Bird and soup look awesome!

It's one of the methods on Owens bbq

http://owensbbq.com/vortex.html

If I try it again, I think I will shove the coal tight to the outside of the vortex and maybe use more coal. Maybe the 18 for a tighter package

Indeed the coals should be tight against the "V" to get the radiant heat to the bird...At least that's what I hear...Never tried it...yet...
The breast was cooked perfect. Just needed a little more heat down low


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Very different result tonight. My theory worked. 18 and packed tight with coal. 1 hour cook time. I injected half with a habanero hot sauce. The vortex upside down and filled with chicken cooks just as hot as normal. The thermos in the vent read 525 for a solid hour. It's resting now.




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Pre-polar vortex vortex chicken
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 29, 2019, 05:11:19 PM
That was the real deal. I have nothing to complain about. Juicy, perfect skin, tender. The injection was awesome. I would definitely do this again.

Also picked up some black label reserve for next time. Good stuff





Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)