So somebody who smokes cheese using just briquettes and wood chunks/chips break it down for me on how you do it. Light a couple then keep feeding it or how long does a couple briqs burn?
Like to get me one of those A-maz-en tubes but the bugs biting me now so don't have time to order and wait

...especially when you figure in 2 week mellow time
And I'm gonna be using 22"kettle
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't use briquettes. I worry that in a kettle it will get too hot. I just use the amazen smoker maze with pellets and smoke the cheese until the pellets burn out.
Will it even work in a kettle? I thought I had read here about people using them for smoking cheese...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your somewhere cold you can probably get away with it. Add lit briqs one by one until you get between 50-75 degrees. Add some wood chips. Smoke the cheese a couple hours and should be good.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Quote from: nek.93 on January 22, 2019, 01:06:20 PM
Will it even work in a kettle? I thought I had read here about people using them for smoking cheese...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Works like a charm. As HoosierKettle said you want the temp to stay below 75-80 degrees, otherwise the cheese will start to melt.

sounds good, I'm in eastern North Carolina so hoping I'd get a couple more chance with cold temps, right now sitting at 65 degrees out

but I'm definitely going to be trying it! ...on a cold day I guess...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This video I did ended up being a bit long winded but it covers what you need to know.
If you don't want to wait for a smoking tube I think people have had luck drilling out a soup can and just lighting some wood chips in that. Maybe they are putting a lot piece of charcoal then the wood chips. You don't really want heat so you would want to use a briquette and that's about it if you aren't using a tube with wood pellets or saw dust. You have to keep the grill under 90 or the cheese will melt!
Smoked Cheese https://youtu.be/6WehWqYlFAo
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I do my cheese in my offset...So usually heat isn't an issue...A few partially lit briqs with a perforated foil pack of wood chips for the smoke...I only smoke for an hour or so because I want to taste the cheese along with the smoke...
No reason a version of this wouldn't do the trick in the kettle...
Thanks for the tips and that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is quite simple. Your only concern is keeping the temp low enough so the cheese doesn't start to melt.
If I use ice, just lay on bag on charcoal grate? That simple I guess
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got to thinking on this.
What if one was to hook up an aluminum dryer vent to either the one touch vent or one of the daisy wheels on an older kettle and have a Smokey joe or modified can with a few lumps or briquettes cooking below with wood smoke of choice and feeding the smoke from the top vent. Would be an offset smoke with virtually no heat just smoke.
I've seen that done. At that point it's a really cold smoke & you woudn't have to let the cheese rest.
Ok, I got 5 lb of cheese on. Been on for 45 minutes maybe, temp at grate is 52, outside temp is 31, We'll see if it turns out for me.
I had been talking I wanted to get the amazen smoke tube, then it showed up in mail!

My wife I guess wanted some smoked cheese also!
Thanks again for the tips...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good wishes! I hope you enjoy your smoked cheese.
Had it on for about 3.5 hrs. Here's about 3/4 the way thru, put ice in a pan bout half way.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190131/9d3eda729d46fcc3af1d8cf21b37e711.jpg)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk