Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: neocacher on January 28, 2018, 12:21:58 PM

Title: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: neocacher on January 28, 2018, 12:21:58 PM
Newbie to WSM here.  I've decided to buy the 14" due to the recommendations of a couple people on the forum.  Next question?

Briquettes, Lump charcoal, or Wood Chunks.  I have availability (i have bags of already) of all three.  Mixed fuel OK?  Opinions. Thanks.
Stephen

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: JDann24 on January 28, 2018, 12:54:27 PM
I use the regular blue bag kingsford briquettes and they work fine.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: varekai on January 28, 2018, 01:20:53 PM
KBB always great, the new Weber briquettes are awesome also.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: bigssa on January 28, 2018, 01:35:22 PM
I would recommend using the Weber briquettes using the minion method.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on January 28, 2018, 01:41:57 PM
I liked briquettes vs lump in the WSM for low and slow. I have used Kingsford Blue, Stubbs, Royal Oak (and generic store brand versions of Royal Oak) and Royal Oak Chef's Select. My favorite was ROCS. Larger briquettes and they burned cleanly and fairly completely for a briquette (minimal ash).
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: Kneab on January 28, 2018, 01:56:10 PM
I have a Wsm 18", Stubb's briquettes and Weber is all I burn in mine. Low ash and super long burn times.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: Mike in Roseville on January 28, 2018, 04:52:46 PM
My favorite is Stubbs. Weber briquettes are good too. Of the more "economical" choices, the Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes aren't bad at all. Those seem to have gotten a little better recently and I prefer then to KBB.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on January 28, 2018, 05:34:53 PM
Stubb's burns nicely and has minimal ash. Only thing I prefer (personally) in the RO and ROCS is the aroma. Regular RO does produce more ash than Stubb's. I do like the larger briquette size of the ROCS. Seems to stay above the charcoal grate for a longer period of time.

edit: Someone with more knowledge than me, please reply but I think Stubb's (vs RO/ROCS) is just made from different wood (more hickory content?). One cannot ignore the price point of RO. Both Stubb's and regular RO available at my local Lowe's - maybe yours too?
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: neocacher on January 28, 2018, 06:38:20 PM
Stubbs ($9.99) and Royal Oaks ($5.99) available my local Lowe's.  Weber 20 lb. is available for $11.99 which is a LOT less than at Walmart.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on January 28, 2018, 07:30:47 PM
I've seen 2 for 1 on the regular Royal Oak at Lowes. I think the Stubb's too.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: Big Dawg on January 29, 2018, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: JDann24 on January 28, 2018, 12:54:27 PM
I use the regular blue bag kingsford briquettes and they work fine.

It's all I've ever used and I've never been disappointed.  Plus the Lower & HD put it on a mega-sale 2-3 times a year.  So, stock up.





BD
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: Lightning on January 30, 2018, 08:30:10 AM
I started out using Royal Oak briquettes in my WSM and eventually changed over to Maple Leaf briquettes.  I have a 22 inch smoker and found that the Maple Leaf briquettes ran a touch hotter and that helped preventing that big smoker's temperature from bottoming out but that probably wouldn't be a concern with the 14 inch WSM you're planning to buy.  Back in summer 2017 when I bought discounted Kingsford briquettes since they rarely go on sale here and tested it, I tried it my WSM once.  The briquettes worked in terms of burning and producing adequate heat to cook with but I didn't really care for the flavour that their smoke imparted to the food so I reverted back to Maple Leaf or Maple Leaf with Royal Oak mixed in.

One thing you might find with using briquettes in general in your smoker is that they tend to choke on their own ash after long enough burn time and the temperature inside starts to sag.  I deal with that by opening the front door and using my charcoal tongs to gently shake the ash off the briquettes so that fresh fuel's exposed to air and can burn effectively to burn the briquettes more completely and get the temperature back up where it should be.

I still have yet to try lump charcoal in my smoker.  One of these days...
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: chapel321 on January 30, 2018, 09:38:32 AM
I've tried Kingsford and Weber , Weber is by far the best but high.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: tmartin on January 31, 2018, 11:57:27 AM
Another vote for weber, easily get 12+ hours on my 14.5 WSM.
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: vverewolf on January 31, 2018, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: tmartin on January 31, 2018, 11:57:27 AM
Another vote for weber, easily get 12+ hours on my 14.5 WSM.
Impressive. Is that a stock unit?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: HoosierKettle on January 31, 2018, 02:20:41 PM
I'm a big kingsford fan but I'm able to get much longer burn time out of the weber coal. It's great stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Best Fuel for WSM
Post by: noles2g on February 01, 2018, 10:30:07 AM
I used to burn KB Blue in the WSM since the Labor Day Memorial Day sales were so good.. but the weber briqs And or Stubbs are superior in every way imo and all I use now


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)