Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: julweidn on October 25, 2017, 03:52:57 AM

Title: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 25, 2017, 03:52:57 AM
I am thinking about smoking two pork shoulders (prob 16-18 lbs total) in my wsm. Any insight on how long it will extend cooking time over a single shoulder?

I smoked a 9 lb shoulder once and it took forever....prob 14-15 hours. Cooked at 225 and didn't wrap. Will bump the temp this time to 250-275 and will likely wrap at 160.

Lastly, how much hotter is the lower rack (guessing 10 degrees) and should I rotate the shoulders when I wrap?

This will only be my 4th cook so I am still learning!

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: wessonjb on October 25, 2017, 04:09:21 AM
Quote from: julweidn on October 25, 2017, 03:52:57 AM
I am thinking about smoking two pork shoulders (prob 16-18 lbs total) in my wsm. Any insight on how long it will extend cooking time over a single shoulder?

I smoked a 9 lb shoulder once and it took forever....prob 14-15 hours. Cooked at 225 and didn't wrap. Will bump the temp this time to 250-275 and will likely wrap at 160.

Lastly, how much hotter is the lower rack (guessing 10 degrees) and should I rotate the shoulders when I wrap?

This will only be my 4th cook so I am still learning!

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not just do both on the top? Plenty of room


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 25, 2017, 05:16:33 AM
Plenty of room on top. I just did 2 on top and a full brisket below.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 25, 2017, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: wessonjb on October 25, 2017, 04:09:21 AM
Quote from: julweidn on October 25, 2017, 03:52:57 AM
I am thinking about smoking two pork shoulders (prob 16-18 lbs total) in my wsm. Any insight on how long it will extend cooking time over a single shoulder?

I smoked a 9 lb shoulder once and it took forever....prob 14-15 hours. Cooked at 225 and didn't wrap. Will bump the temp this time to 250-275 and will likely wrap at 160.

Lastly, how much hotter is the lower rack (guessing 10 degrees) and should I rotate the shoulders when I wrap?

This will only be my 4th cook so I am still learning!

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not just do both on the top? Plenty of room


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess that makes sense. I thought they wouldn't fit


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 26, 2017, 04:51:06 PM
Any insight how much longer 2 shoulders will take vs one?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 26, 2017, 04:59:56 PM
I haven't noticed any longer time.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 26, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
Fuel consumption goes up a little but time and temp remain the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 27, 2017, 03:39:47 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on October 26, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
Fuel consumption goes up a little but time and temp remain the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Awesome - thx!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 27, 2017, 03:51:41 AM

Quote from: julweidn on October 27, 2017, 03:39:47 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on October 26, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
Fuel consumption goes up a little but time and temp remain the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Awesome - thx!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome. For example, I have to run Vents more open when it is completely full of meat to maintain temp. Especially the first 5 hours. Hence the added fuel consumption. But as long as a temp is maintained the meat cooks just the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: jeffrackmo on October 27, 2017, 03:55:43 AM
I hope we get so see some "Pork Pics" from this cook....   

I like Pork pics... :D
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 28, 2017, 01:11:19 PM
Decided to do a couple pork tenderloins instead....didnt feel like getting up early! Used some honey, brown sugar, and plowboys yardbird rub. Here is a pic about 30 min in (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171028/946f8e9d2aadec5c1cdf336732e1720b.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171028/0a6992f302e0c6eca5a4c80445921384.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 2 Pork Shoulders in one 18" WSM
Post by: julweidn on October 28, 2017, 02:21:05 PM
Finished product- pretty pleased. Probably left on the smoker a bit long, but my thermo seems to be inconsistent so I error on the side of caution (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171028/a6f99300f35ff43f03ae3775580e922e.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk