Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: Al b que on August 14, 2017, 02:43:47 PM

Title: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Al b que on August 14, 2017, 02:43:47 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/44985eabd0f62cebbdcee641314e6352.jpg) first cook with the WSM Cajun Bandit door install. cooked 250 275 solid love it ribs corn smoked pears. Used bone-sucking rub on the ribs also bone-sucking sauce.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/c685388fcdef84c8249ca7f066cb9017.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/8be8d2d72dead0a9e14629477943910b.jpg) white corn was delicious ribs out-of-this-world tender. Miller Lite and nap time.

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: HoosierKettle on August 14, 2017, 03:02:13 PM
Well played .

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the cb door.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: mhiszem on August 14, 2017, 03:08:50 PM
Looks great!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: iCARRY on August 14, 2017, 04:08:25 PM
Glad it worked out for you. I love my door


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Mike in Roseville on August 15, 2017, 09:10:10 PM
Great job! I love my cb door too!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Troy1620 on August 16, 2017, 08:32:16 AM
Great cook. I'll have to try corn in the smoker. I love the Cajun bandit door. My first cook ran hot because I started too many briquettes. I use much less charcoal on my cooks now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: RemoGaggi on December 12, 2017, 08:40:16 PM
I just got a CB door for my 18.5 and it totally sealed up the door.  I know some will argue it doesn't make a difference, but all I know is that it can't hurt anything, it can only help. 
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Big Dawg on December 13, 2017, 02:07:41 PM
Quote from: RemoGaggi on December 12, 2017, 08:40:16 PM
I just got a CB door for my 18.5 and it totally sealed up the door.  I know some will argue it doesn't make a difference, but all I know is that it can't hurt anything, it can only help.

Yeah, for me it's almost a "must have" accessory.

Great lookin' bones @Al b que ! ! !





BD
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: JEBIV on December 14, 2017, 08:28:16 AM
Grate looking cook
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: jcnaz on December 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

Quote from: jcnaz on December 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

If it's not broke don't fix it. I got my 18 second hand and it wouldn't shut down or maintain temp well. The new door and latch solved those problems for me and was a great investment.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on December 15, 2017, 06:34:52 AM
Quote from: jcnaz on December 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18"?

I had one and didn't think it was all that. It looks cool and is well made.

Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
If it's not broke don't fix it. I got my 18 second hand and it wouldn't shut down or maintain temp well. The new door and latch solved those problems for me and was a great investment.

Nice that you got a good fit out of the box. My CB door leaked about half as much as the stock door. After some tweaking to the door and barrel, i actually did get a decent fit.

Doing it over again, I would get the gasket over the door.
Title: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 06:43:30 AM
Quote from: GoAnywhereJeep on December 15, 2017, 06:34:52 AM
Quote from: jcnaz on December 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18"?

I had one and didn't think it was all that. It looks cool and is well made.

Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
If it's not broke don't fix it. I got my 18 second hand and it wouldn't shut down or maintain temp well. The new door and latch solved those problems for me and was a great investment.

Nice that you got a good fit out of the box. My CB door leaked about half as much as the stock door. After some tweaking to the door and barrel, i actually did get a decent fit.

Doing it over again, I would get the gasket over the door.

I still had a small insignificant smoke leak with the cb door out of the box but my stock door had a huge gaping leak that caused problems cooking.  The Cajun bandit door solved the problems I had.

It's a grill not a submarine. Tiny wisps of smoke here and there are completely fine but a flimsy thin door that will not hold its shape with an equally crappy latch didn't cut it for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: kettlebb on December 15, 2017, 07:03:00 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

It's a grill not a submarine. Tiny wisps of smoke here and there are completely fine but a flimsy thin door that will not hold its shape with an equally crappy latch didn't cut it for me.

[/quote]

This is the truth.  I see a lot of posts about gaskets and guys trying to get every leak and make kettles and WSMs air tight.  I don't think you'd want a cooker air tight.  If you want the most precise temp control, use the oven.  I highly doubt you'd notice any difference in pulled pork smoked at 250 vs 260.  I personally cook with a temp range in mind, not a set temp.  This takes the worry out of cooking and I still get great results.
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:28:52 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Why


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:40:11 AM

Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:28:52 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Why
Nothing I make will ever come even close to comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:53:02 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:40:11 AM

Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:28:52 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Why
Nothing I make will ever come even close to comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Not with that attitude


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on December 15, 2017, 09:19:56 AM
Quote from: kettlebb on December 15, 2017, 07:03:00 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

It's a grill not a submarine. Tiny wisps of smoke here and there are completely fine but a flimsy thin door that will not hold its shape with an equally crappy latch didn't cut it for me.


This is the truth.  I see a lot of posts about gaskets and guys trying to get every leak and make kettles and WSMs air tight.  I don't think you'd want a cooker air tight.  If you want the most precise temp control, use the oven.  I highly doubt you'd notice any difference in pulled pork smoked at 250 vs 260.  I personally cook with a temp range in mind, not a set temp.  This takes the worry out of cooking and I still get great results.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's a grill and not a sub. Still, a gasket on the door will probably cure any leak issues at a lower price than the door. The stock door leaked pretty badly.
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on December 15, 2017, 10:22:13 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:53:02 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:40:11 AM

Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 15, 2017, 07:28:52 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.

Why

Nothing I make will ever come even close to comparison.

Not with that attitude

I'll try any cook at home, no fear, but would be scared shitless to serve it to most of the guys here!
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: kettlebb on December 15, 2017, 10:30:15 AM
I don't feel that way at all @addicted-to-smoke and ya'll shouldn't either.  I've seen plenty of cook pics posted and while most of our stuff may not win 1st place, we make some damn good barbecue.  If I had time, I'd love to get into a competition or two in 2018 to see where I rank.
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Rub on December 16, 2017, 09:56:24 AM

Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
You're nuckin' futs Charlie! I'm sure you're a killer bbq'r. Mine was just something new to you, that's all. Only way to improve is practice practice practice. That's what I'll be doing later today. Or come take my class in March ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: hawgheaven on January 17, 2018, 05:46:00 AM
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


I friggin' love this setup. I have two 18.5's that are SCREAMING for this! Dang man!
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Mr.CPHo on January 17, 2018, 10:50:26 AM

Quote from: hawgheaven on January 17, 2018, 05:46:00 AM
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


I friggin' love this setup. I have two 18.5's that are SCREAMING for this! Dang man!
LMK if you need parts.  Your green has not yet left the building. 


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Mike in Roseville on January 18, 2018, 07:51:35 PM
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub’s BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Charlie,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You've had some great BBQ. Great! You now know where you need to go, and practice is the only way you'll get there. Every time I cook BBQ I learn something new or find a better way to hone my process. We are all en route... even @Rub.  ;)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: Rub on January 20, 2018, 03:18:24 AM

Quote from: Mike in Roseville on January 18, 2018, 07:51:35 PM
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on December 15, 2017, 07:06:31 AM
I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub's BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/1c261e55e5c3d1aafe0af6c545e7ece7.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Charlie,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You've had some great BBQ. Great! You now know where you need to go, and practice is the only way you'll get there. Every time I cook BBQ I learn something new or find a better way to hone my process. We are all en route... even @Rub.  ;)
Absolutely true! That should fuel your motivation, not defeat.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: fedex on January 21, 2018, 11:28:44 PM
Quote from: jcnaz on December 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

I did on mine.  I bought some of that gasket tape for lid also.  The only smoke coming out of mine is out of lid damper.
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: wyd on April 15, 2018, 08:51:51 AM
Quote from: kettlebb on December 15, 2017, 07:03:00 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on December 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM


This is the truth.  I see a lot of posts about gaskets and guys trying to get every leak and make kettles and WSMs air tight.  I don't think you'd want a cooker air tight.  If you want the most precise temp control, use the oven.  I highly doubt you'd notice any difference in pulled pork smoked at 250 vs 260.  I personally cook with a temp range in mind, not a set temp.  This takes the worry out of cooking and I still get great results.

I totally agree with the temp range in mind.  Best advice I ever got when I started grilling on my kettle grills and pellet grills was to not get too obsessed with temps.  Just get a range in mind and your food will still taste the same.  Soon as I used that advice my grilling went from being worried about temp vs having tons of fun and no such a worry wart plus my food tasted just as good as when I was a constant temp watcher. Lol
Title: Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
Post by: pbe gummi bear on April 15, 2018, 10:48:37 AM
My 22.5" always burned hot with the OEM door, like 300F+. I was able to get it down and more controlled with the CB door. I'm not super picky with temp either but 300F+ is too hot for smoking.