Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 01:43:34 PM

Title: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 01:43:34 PM
In black of course. Anyone have a good parts unit I can steal the black hood from? My 3000 got dented when a neighbor's ladder fell on it, and it's rusting through now. I think any three-burner Genesis from the olden days will suffice. Bonus points if you can bring it to the meetup in June. If you're closer to PA, MD WDC, I have a green platinum hood (plus most everything except the cart) you can have in exchange.
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Bman on April 03, 2013, 01:51:59 PM
Got one in Leesburg, VA  (about 30 minutes south of Frederick, MD)
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 02:07:55 PM
Thanks Bman. Shoot me a pic (or post it here) if you can. Not sure when I can get to you, maybe not until the week before the 4th of July. Hope that's not a deal-breaker. Then again, it might give us time to plan an East Coast Kettle Club meet up!
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Bman on April 03, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
It's the one in this thread.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/free-weber-genesis-best-photo-ever/

The grill components are in really good shape!  If you scroll to the end of that thread, you'll see I picked up a Red Head that isn't in such good condition.  I've also picked up 2 other freebies and plan on restoring 3 of em out of the 4 donors.  I'm planning on putting the Red lid on the black grill during it's restoration and stripping the red grill for a work table cart.  Meaning, I'd have the black lid & some other parts leftover. 

I'll use this as a test run and clean up/post pics of the black lid for ya.   8)  I'm in no hurry, so whenever. 
What part of PA do you frequent?  My inlaws are an hour or so SE of Pittsburgh and we make that trip a few times a year.
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 02:41:55 PM
Exactly what I need! When I'm home I'm in South Central PA, near the Maryland border on 83. My wife works downtown Baltimore. We'll figure it out.
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: 1buckie on April 03, 2013, 02:51:42 PM


That's Astounding.......Less than one hour & what ordinarily would be a mostly intractable problem is solved....I love this place !!!!
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Bman on April 03, 2013, 04:31:21 PM
I go to Gettysburg/Hanover/York quite a bit in the summer, but I'm always on this...  :D

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/Bike%20Pics/240x185.jpg)
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 05:57:01 PM
I'm not far from York, but I stick to four wheels. Here's a little cycle trivia: I worked for Caterpillar when OCC did the Cat Chopper, and I was the guy who went to Montgomery NY to check on progress and make sure the Pauls were under control. Met the whole crew, and can be seen somewhere in the DVD of that episode when they came to play on the bulldozers for a day. Got to sit on the finished chopper before anyone in the world saw it, and fired it up for a few minutes inside the shop. Here's a pic I took when I was up there. They built two of them for us, the second is on the lift in the background with Rick. Cool stuff.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8254/8618391070_544687d52e.jpg)
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Duke on April 03, 2013, 06:05:41 PM
Nice bike Bman! Very cool story Marty! 8)
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Bman on April 03, 2013, 06:06:49 PM
That is very cool!  Did Cat ask for 2 or why did they build 2?
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: MartyG on April 03, 2013, 06:14:15 PM
Yeah, Cat needed two so they could tour around the country for dealer events and trade shows. How much you ask? Well, when all was said and done, it was probably a couple million. Compared to some other forms of advertising, it was probably a bargain. The NASCAR sponsorship Cat has costs them ten times that every year.
Title: Re: Genesis hood needed in Chicago or PA
Post by: Bman on April 03, 2013, 06:43:31 PM
 :o  :o  :o