Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: Kneab on December 17, 2016, 04:36:54 PM

Title: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Kneab on December 17, 2016, 04:36:54 PM
Just picked up a 18" WSM @ Cabela's on sale for $215
Laid it all out on the floor and took a quick inventory. It looks like it is all here. I began assembly. Visions of smoke dancing in my head. Thinking of the brisket that I am going to break this thing in with. I assume that the cooking grates and charcoal grates are in the box still. I assemble the whole thing. It looks great. I go look on the box.... no grates😭
I called Weber customer service explained what was missing and registered it. They are going to ship me a full set of grates on Monday. Hopefully they are here Tuesday. I would like to run it empty a few times to seal everything up before doing my first cook. That was going to be a brisket on my friday off before xmas. (http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/5b44f0eddbbf070c3fc9f9d63ac1c8f0.jpg) hopefully I do not need to postpone it til Monday. 😣

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: TheDude on December 17, 2016, 04:58:43 PM
Run a few yard birds though it, rather than dry runs. They can handle some higher temps, and are great for seasoning the cooker. Not to mention, delicious. Congrats! You'll love it!
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: iCARRY on December 17, 2016, 05:06:32 PM
Yeah go grab some on sale chicken quarters and load it up. Cook them hot and fast. Cook some low and slow. Feed the dogs, feed the neighbors or whoever. They will be great and everyone will love you all while you seal your cooker up and learn about using it. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on December 18, 2016, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: Kneab on December 17, 2016, 04:36:54 PM
Just picked up a 18" WSM @ Cabela's on sale for $215
Laid it all out on the floor and took a quick inventory. It looks like it is all here. I began assembly. Visions of smoke dancing in my head. Thinking of the brisket that I am going to break this thing in with. I assume that the cooking grates and charcoal grates are in the box still. I assemble the whole thing. It looks great. I go look on the box.... no grates😭
I called Weber customer service explained what was missing and registered it. They are going to ship me a full set of grates on Monday. Hopefully they are here Tuesday. I would like to run it empty a few times to seal everything up before doing my first cook. That was going to be a brisket on my friday off before xmas. (http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/5b44f0eddbbf070c3fc9f9d63ac1c8f0.jpg) hopefully I do not need to postpone it til Monday. 😣

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.

That is a thing of beauty, congrats
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Bob Ivey on December 18, 2016, 02:51:04 AM
Congrats on a great cooker and a great price.
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Travis on December 18, 2016, 03:42:55 AM
Congrats man!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Scott Zee on December 18, 2016, 04:53:21 AM
@Kneab  Congrats, She's a beauty. You're gonna love the 18.5 and I second the do some chickens the 1st couple times, no need for a dry run.
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: hawgheaven on December 18, 2016, 06:46:30 AM
Yer gonna love this machine! I can't believe there were no grates with it! Well, it's good Weber has your back on that one. Holy crap! Did you get it online or locally?
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Kneab on December 18, 2016, 06:55:56 AM
Thanks fellas.
I got it in store. No coupon $215.
Box was factory sealed with like 6 inch packing tape. 1 piece top and bottom. No retape. They just forgot to put them in. As soon as I have them I'm going to do what everyone has suggested and run some chickens through it to season it and learn my cooker. Once I have learned it  and sealed it  then on to the brisket.

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.

Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on December 18, 2016, 07:14:02 AM
@Kneab

Try swaping your grates from a newr style JJ, a fire grate from a 22 might fit in the lower end.

Otherwise if you have a hand saw and some bailing wire you could use a broken broomstick or plunger handle to make a crossbar and hang a chix or two in there.

(http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w493/HellFireGrill/Alotashit/wsm%202016-12-18%20009_zpshvxusxa5.jpg)
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Speedster on December 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM
Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: jeffrackmo on December 18, 2016, 05:49:14 PM
Nice!!!  Run a pork butt too. 

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: 1911Ron on January 01, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
Quote from: jeffrackmo on December 18, 2016, 05:49:14 PM
Nice!!!  Run a pork butt too. 

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
Plus 1 on doing a butt!
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Lemans on February 11, 2017, 02:45:58 PM
Weber customer service is the best. I bought a use WSM 22 and the side handle well was weak
They sent me a new lid!! I gave the old lid to another member. That's what we do!
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Swordfish on February 21, 2017, 03:20:46 AM
Congratulations.  I just ordered one from a local hardware store.  Same as yours, 18".  Should get mine a few weeks.  I've been using a 22" kettle for close to 30 years.  Thanks to this forum I'm learning about techniques and tips including "seasoning" the new cooker.  Enjoy yours.  I can't wait for mine.
Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: Kneab on February 21, 2017, 06:52:50 AM
You're going to love it.

searching for a 26.

Title: Re: Finally got a WSM!
Post by: SmokenJoe on February 21, 2017, 12:23:45 PM
@Swordfish;  Don't remember saying hello before this, but regardless, welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.

SJ