Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: einrej on November 25, 2016, 06:03:57 AM

Title: Just an old kettle
Post by: einrej on November 25, 2016, 06:03:57 AM
My 1981 Weber

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6719sml_zpsxgtgr1qq.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6719sml_zpsxgtgr1qq.jpg.html)

Had a hard life

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6717sml_zps9lelnazl.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6717sml_zps9lelnazl.jpg.html)

Winters without a cover

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6714sml_zps1sy6n3da.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6714sml_zps1sy6n3da.jpg.html)

16 pound Turkey
I made it yesterday

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6712sml_zpsgyaqywrg.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6712sml_zpsgyaqywrg.jpg.html)

Turkey stuffed with chunks of Orange, Lemon, Garlic, and Onions.

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6711sml_zpsjsygiaph.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6711sml_zpsjsygiaph.jpg.html)

Sill cooking good food

(http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w565/einrej/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6703sml_zpsadpmjsvf.jpg) (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/einrej/media/11-12-16%20Roti%20Turkey/DSCN6703sml_zpsadpmjsvf.jpg.html)

If you think you should make one...... DON'T WAIT!!
Everything turns out great. Bone in Hams cant be beat.

     Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber (beater)
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. Helps to know your cook temperature.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

   The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: charred on November 25, 2016, 06:12:05 AM
 nice....good cookin is ALWAYS good lookin!   :)
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: JDD on November 25, 2016, 06:28:17 AM
Love the roti, turkey looks great.
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: Mr.CPHo on November 25, 2016, 06:35:56 AM
Damn, dude.... The first words that came to my mind were "Beast Mode"!

Looks awesome, will definitely do this mod one day.  Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: einrej on November 25, 2016, 06:39:30 AM
Without the Roti ring you cook in the basement and I get great results. I use the deflectors for Turkeys. For Hams I just have the coal on the sides or ends.
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: Travis on November 25, 2016, 06:55:13 AM
Neat. And beautiful old cooker.
What did you use as shim for the motor bracket? Just some washers would work fine, correct?
Do the universal spits have a rounded groove at the point that rest on the kettle so it turns smoothly? I noticed it was square. A very neat mod and at a handsome price.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: MrHoss on November 25, 2016, 06:59:46 AM
Ernie...your turkeys always look amazing and that one is no exception. Love the finish on the old Black and the way you rig up the rotisserie without a ring. I think your end product may be better as it gets the meat closer to the heat.
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: einrej on November 25, 2016, 07:01:16 AM
I used washers for the shims, worked fine. Square rod, round hole, no problem.
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: WNC on November 25, 2016, 07:27:00 AM
I love the patina on that kettle!
I know a dude in town with one similar, he uses it, but doesn't appreciate it the way we would.
I'm trying to trade him for an 80's red, we'll see...
Great looking bird!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 25, 2016, 07:39:05 AM
That is a really cool patina. I leave my black 22 uncovered. Hopefully it will look like that some day.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Just an old kettle
Post by: Scott Zee on November 25, 2016, 07:40:49 AM
Love it Ernie...from that old boys patina to the great mod and of course the bird. It's all good.        :D