Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: greenweb on October 06, 2016, 08:11:28 AM

Title: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 06, 2016, 08:11:28 AM
I had to sell off some of my non Weber grills to fund this project and get my Ivory.  I had many exciting ideas but did not quite work out the way I envisioned. Still, I got few really nice kettles out of this so I am happy with the result.

Continuing from my build spoiler Topic.     http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-upcoming-'special-edition'-build-spoiler/ 
First up is the Copper.  I bought the Copper shell and decided to make it a respectable cooker using all new parts. In the process, I tried few different design cues to represent retro kettle.

New legs, triangle, wheels and bowl handles went on.  They may get changed later.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_092134.jpg)



Different style handles.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_092839.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_093009.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_093300.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_095659.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_100019.jpg)


How about with this ash pan.                           or like this representing 70's MBH kettle.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_102722.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_103552.jpg)


More stock look   At this point, legs fully inserted as no changes will be made on the bot. section.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20160928_125318.jpg)


New ash swiper assy.                                                         and new grates on.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_100009.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_100826.jpg)


Thermo deleted and the holes plugged for that retro clean look.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_113250.jpg)

In the end, I decided to stay close to stock Euro spec kettle.  I might even put back the taco shell.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_113316.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_113442.jpg)


I will continue with Green and Ivory when I get a chance.  Thanks for looking.
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: Travis on October 06, 2016, 09:04:32 AM
I agree man. She looks clean like that. That's a sharp kettle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 06, 2016, 11:52:56 AM
Quote from: Travis on October 06, 2016, 09:04:32 AM
I agree man. She looks clean like that. That's a sharp kettle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Rescued Green also got the similar treatment.

Starting with the bowl.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_134527.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_135644.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_152543.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_140303.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_141907.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_142120.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_142419.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/06/20161006_153045.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/07/20161006_153453.jpg)


Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: Mr.CPHo on October 07, 2016, 04:54:00 AM
I love the pics with the two greens side by side.  Well done, sir, well done.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: RottiGuy on October 07, 2016, 05:45:22 AM
Looking good  !!!!
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 09, 2016, 03:56:17 PM
Quote from: Mr.CPHo on October 07, 2016, 04:54:00 AM
I love the pics with the two greens side by side.  Well done, sir, well done.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Thanks!  I should have a pic of 3 green together when weather gets better tomorrow.


Added one more Green into the mix.  So, I have now trio of Green 22".   Gen2 MT,  Gen2 One Touch Plus (I like to call it), and  One Touch Retro (I call it).  I really like this trio but not sure about the Copper.  I can not decide. Just leave it or make it into Copper Performer.





Anyways, Here are some pics.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/09/2016-10-0905.24.19.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/09/2016-10-0905.30.24.jpg)



Also, on these new taco handles, I did notice on some that the bottom of shell had burs still on them. I inspected them all and filed and sanded clean. For added protection, I used high temp. gasket material with center punched.  Here is the pic.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/09/20161009_164457.jpg)

I still need to put my new Ivory together, but give me some suggestion with the Copper.
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 09, 2016, 08:10:07 PM
I just put my Ivory together.  Looks gorgeous in person.  I am loving it!

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/09/2016-10-0911.14.18.jpg)

I have completed the project. Happy with how all of them turned out. Of course, Ivory did not change as I had enough mix of retro kettles.


Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: kettlebb on October 10, 2016, 05:35:29 AM
Beautiful. I'd never cook on that ivory.


Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: Travis on October 10, 2016, 06:26:37 AM
@greenweb. Those are some beautiful kettles!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 10, 2016, 07:46:50 AM
Few more pics and I done with this Topic.  I had lots of fun. Hope some of you enjoyed it as well.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/10/2016-10-0922.49.26.jpg)


Spring Green Trio: MT, One-Off One Touch Plus, and One Touch Retro.
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/10/2016-10-0922.14.05.jpg)


MT Group
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/10/10/2016-10-0922.53.16.jpg)
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: Travis on October 10, 2016, 07:59:37 AM
That last shot...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: kettlebb on October 10, 2016, 08:19:58 AM
The last shot should be in the calendar


Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 10, 2016, 09:38:43 AM
Nice looking kettles.  What kettle is your daily driver?
Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: greenweb on October 10, 2016, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: HoosierKettle on October 10, 2016, 09:38:43 AM
Nice looking kettles.  What kettle is your daily driver?

I use the green MT and the Performer the most but other kettles get used in rotation.  As for my new 4 addition, not sure if they will get used at all especially the Ivory and one Green.



Title: Re: Sort of a RRR - Copper, Spring Green, and Ivory retro design exercise.
Post by: Theo Bedania on October 10, 2016, 04:43:37 PM
Beautiful grills!