Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: NeoTrout on March 28, 2013, 07:15:03 AM

Title: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: NeoTrout on March 28, 2013, 07:15:03 AM
Here's some pics of the Brown SJ I scored last weekend. $8!

(http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/NeoTrout/SmokeyJoe/SJ5_zps70767864.jpg)

With the legs I almost threw out!

(http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/NeoTrout/SmokeyJoe/SJ7_zps986c9a6a.jpg)

Can anyone give me the year of this one?

Thanks.

Steve
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: MartyG on March 28, 2013, 07:53:44 AM
New to the club and you're already blowing us away! That's a great little kettle you got there. And $8? Well, where else can you have this much fun for the price of a couple happy meals? I'm not the dating type, but I'm sure others will chime in soon enough.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Duke on March 28, 2013, 08:08:16 AM
My guess is that it's either a late sixties or a very early seventies. There is a serious gap with smokey joes in the sixties. I have a 61' and it seems like you don't see anything different until the early seventies like 72'. It think these were made right before the 72' models after they did away with the heavy straight legs that mine and the Galley have and tried this style you have. After that design didn't really pan out they went with the next design that lasted for a while. By the way, the only reason they made these legs in pieces or what they call collapsible was because they needed to pack them tightly. Yours are four pieces and much more difficult to put together than the collapsible design. I would guess yours at 69' or 70' as I can best pinpoint it. I don't even think these were ever advertised. Maybe Ed our resident expert could help.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: G on March 28, 2013, 09:56:21 AM
Wait....you almost threw the legs out?  That is nice.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Harbormaster on March 28, 2013, 10:18:17 AM
Hey Neo,
Based on the catalog pic we saw at the Brethren, yours has to be older than 1973. The 73 SJs had the same handle as yours, but different legs, and brown was not available in 73.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Jeff on March 28, 2013, 11:20:15 AM
Very nice!!!  Its so clean I can see the dust on it in your 2nd pic!  I've got the twin brother to it!
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Duke on March 28, 2013, 11:36:06 AM
What's your guess on it's age Jeff?
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: reillyranch on March 28, 2013, 11:48:46 AM
Here are copies of the Weber catalogs and the year.  I don't see brown Smokey Joe offered in any of these catalogs.

(Duke I think you had a typo, you proberly ment to say "resident ex-perp", as in recovering perpetrator)

63
(http://imageshack.us/a/img842/1963/63sj.png)

64
(http://imageshack.us/a/img849/8628/64sj.png)

68
(http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4814/68sj.png)

69
(http://imageshack.us/a/img593/6117/69sj.png)

72
(http://imageshack.us/a/img29/9736/72sj.png)

73
(http://imageshack.us/a/img849/803/73sj.png)

Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: glrasmussen on March 28, 2013, 11:51:15 AM
The only leg kit that matches in pic #69, Hmmm...
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: reillyranch on March 28, 2013, 12:02:13 PM
the 69 picture is a screen shot, I don't have that catalog so can't confirm or deny the date.  But that could place those legs 69-71. 
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: NeoTrout on March 28, 2013, 12:17:36 PM
Quote from: G on March 28, 2013, 09:56:21 AM
Wait....you almost threw the legs out?  That is nice.

Yep. It was in a box with a bunch of stuff in it. I was looking for the fold-out style legs. Never knew those style existed.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: NeoTrout on March 28, 2013, 12:20:35 PM
Quote from: reillyranch on March 28, 2013, 11:48:46 AM
Here are copies of the Weber catalogs and the year.  I don't see brown Smokey Joe offered in any of these catalogs.

(Duke I think you had a typo, you proberly ment to say "resident ex-perp", as in recovering perpetrator)

63
(http://imageshack.us/a/img842/1963/63sj.png)

64
(http://imageshack.us/a/img849/8628/64sj.png)

68
(http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4814/68sj.png)

69
(http://imageshack.us/a/img593/6117/69sj.png)

72
(http://imageshack.us/a/img29/9736/72sj.png)

73
(http://imageshack.us/a/img849/803/73sj.png)


Thanks.
The 69 still looks like the stick legs. So my guess is it's 70-71.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Jeff on March 28, 2013, 04:16:12 PM
I was thinking prior to 72
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Hogsy on March 28, 2013, 04:22:15 PM
Hey Neo is that Weber table cloth the one that was on eBay the other week?
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Craig on March 28, 2013, 06:55:30 PM
That's a nice chocolate brown SJ you got there. I was thinking the same thing that everyone here has said about the date, '69-'71 or so. I'm surprised that color didn't stick around on the SJ's into 1972 and through the decade. Whats even more strange is that by 1979, black was the only color of SJ available until sometime in the '80s when red ones came back.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Duke on March 28, 2013, 08:23:41 PM
I'm still after an olive. I wonder whay Jeffs and Neo's legs are a little different? Neo's curl more. Maybe it's just more excited than Jeffs. ;)
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: NeoTrout on March 29, 2013, 06:10:57 AM
Quote from: Hogsy on March 28, 2013, 04:22:15 PM
Hey Neo is that Weber table cloth the one that was on eBay the other week?

No. I had this one for a couple years. I did get it from ebay though.
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Casey on April 01, 2013, 02:58:31 PM
Here's a link to another brown smokey joe.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?1567-Old-Weber-Grill-Any-idea&highlight=brown+mastertouch
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: Craig on April 01, 2013, 04:13:55 PM
Hey Casey, I remember that one! Pretty sweet!
Title: Re: Vintage Smokey Joe
Post by: reillyranch on April 01, 2013, 04:21:08 PM
This is from a 1974 catalog.  It is hard to see the legs, but from the describtion must be same as the 1973.

(http://imageshack.us/a/img836/7753/74sj.png)