Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Bman on March 22, 2013, 11:03:54 AM

Title: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Bman on March 22, 2013, 11:03:54 AM
I picked up this AA Performer from CL a couple weeks ago.  Great condition, but I wanted to give it a bath before using.
Tore it apart last night, soaked the cleaning system overnight, gave her the bath & reassembled today.   
I didn't take as many shots as I wanted for the story, but you'll get the idea.   8)

Here's what it looked like when I started the tear down last night.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/7D575B21-46CF-4C7D-AF1E-D8AAFBCF8594-1483-0000009F2299AD83.jpg)

Not bad, but clearly there's some gunk going on.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/6F44B8D6-FFD4-4C31-BA2E-045FB9B39C2D-1483-0000009F3DA9392B.jpg)

All apart and ready for cleaning.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/7115EE3B-538A-4410-AB03-55111D1ADA51-1483-0000009F50A0557D.jpg)

A little degreaser, SOS pad, and water was all this required.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/CB94B974-0C26-42B9-A275-2784CB876539-1483-0000009F794EF1DF.jpg)

All dry and ready for reassembly.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/4B25B0F3-7504-4DCE-92D1-C0D283908850-1483-0000009FB90B5E3B.jpg)

Half way there.

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/AB22A4FB-51D4-4712-9679-68BCB0CBC955-1483-0000009FC25F5DB8.jpg)

Ta daaaa...

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/9EB44EE8-94A4-48A8-8DCF-1CAF3F95D8EE-1483-000000A0D87E369D.jpg)

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/B2B9C7AE-C2ED-432E-B4EC-8C69A845F123-1483-0000009FDD309681.jpg)

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/4A0DBDB7-3F68-484A-9E67-FDD8318E6A97-1483-0000009FF146C98C.jpg)

Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Bman on March 22, 2013, 11:07:43 AM
Couple of questions...

Is it normal for the lid bale to contact the lid where my finger is?  All the while, there's a ton of space everywhere else?

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/C7B302FB-C399-4F2F-8AF8-EC40239F1105-1483-000000A01634522F.jpg)

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/84647BD5-51A9-4B3D-9677-31B169A04693-1483-000000A1141386C5.jpg)
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Bman on March 22, 2013, 11:09:19 AM
And this was laying in the bottom of the charcoal bin when I took possession.  WTF is it and where does it go?

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/C2208BD6-2CBE-40E0-BB31-9413D3FF1275-1483-0000009F5ECCF9FA.jpg)

Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: 1911Ron on March 22, 2013, 11:20:22 AM
I don't have an answer for you, but it sure looks pretty! ;D
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: pbe gummi bear on March 22, 2013, 11:23:34 AM
That stick is for holding a lit match to light the starter when the igniter switch dies. Nice performer and cleanup.
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: chriscw81 on March 22, 2013, 12:37:18 PM
Looks great, nice grill!




Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Jeff on March 22, 2013, 12:53:19 PM
I thought that little stick was for cleaning out the burner vent...when it gets gunked up with spider webs, nests, etc. 
As far as that lid bale, something is wrong.  Its not supposed to be that close.  It should loop through that stainless arm (as you have it) that comes up off of the back of the bowl.  That is supposed to keep it spaced back far enough to allow the lid to rest in it.  Maybe its bent and needs to be flexed back outward?

Great job on the cleanup!
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: etruax on March 22, 2013, 01:36:49 PM
I thought the stick was used to drag the baskets from over the flame to an indirect position, etc. 
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Ken Mc on March 22, 2013, 02:05:45 PM
that is the match holder. I thought they only came with the older S/S models.
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Kilted_Griller on March 22, 2013, 02:27:25 PM
Very nicely done!!
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: G on March 22, 2013, 02:39:22 PM
Nice work....based on your pics, you may want to consider bending the small SS piece (where it attaches to the bowl) to conform to the bowl better.  It appears to be preventing the lid from seating all the way to the bottom (third to last pic).  I have done this on all my MTs so the lid rolls to the bottom better and also provides more access to the grill.  The lid bale wire appears to be proportionate to the bowl.

Oh yea...I was with Jeff....but the manual says its a match holder.
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: bryanw21157 on March 22, 2013, 02:40:59 PM
Great work.  Want to clean my two-tone redhead for me?8)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Title: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Bbqmiller on March 22, 2013, 02:52:43 PM
Nice job. I have on older performer and a ranch kettle that need some cleaning. I hope the weather will cooperate next week.
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: BBQ Breath on March 22, 2013, 03:33:51 PM
Which degreaser did you use?
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Bman on March 22, 2013, 06:00:16 PM
1) Thanks for all the compliments.  I'm REALLY digging this blue color.

2) A match holder, uh?  Well, it'll never be used for that, I guarantee it.  Dragging the charcoal baskets will be it's use. 

3) I'll bend the lower tab (where it mounts to the bowl) to conform with the bowl tomorrow and see if that solves the issue.

4) The degreaser is this - http://www.greased-lightning.com/
(I just picked up the Super Strength stuff from Home Depot for $4.88 a twin 40oz pack)
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 22, 2013, 06:27:35 PM
I'da used easy off.
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 22, 2013, 07:23:25 PM
As best I can tell from your photos I think my Performer touches in that same spot. It doesn't reach all the way down to the bottom of the stainless strap thingy. That's why some of us complain that the lid doesn't open up to vertical. I think Weber made the lid bale wire too short. A longer one would allow the lid to open farther. That blue is a beauty, btw!!
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: bob hope on March 22, 2013, 07:39:09 PM
Quote from: Bman on March 22, 2013, 11:09:19 AM
And this was laying in the bottom of the charcoal bin when I took possession.  WTF is it and where does it go?

(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/baeseman1/C2208BD6-2CBE-40E0-BB31-9413D3FF1275-1483-0000009F5ECCF9FA.jpg)

   part number 85509    Match holder for Performer
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: Craig on March 22, 2013, 10:11:16 PM
Nice looking bluey you got there!
Title: Re: My Performer Clean-Up
Post by: mike.stavlund on March 23, 2013, 05:51:22 PM
Nice work, B!  It looks like new.

That blue is sweet-- way better than some old red SS Performer...