Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: Anglerman on July 12, 2016, 12:01:49 PM

Title: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 12, 2016, 12:01:49 PM
I decided I'd try my hand at making my smokey Joe into a WSM mini.. I just finished fab'ing up the ash deflector for the bottom vent I've read is fairly important. Everything else needed is on order so maybe you can say I jumped the gun a bit.. Oh well 😀

(http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l511/Anglerman7/557792EE-D657-46BE-9ADA-21EF797DAACD.jpg) (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Anglerman7/media/557792EE-D657-46BE-9ADA-21EF797DAACD.jpg.html)
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: buckeyesmoker on July 12, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
Looks nice !!!    ....send one to me...I am in need of something like this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: DirectDrive on July 12, 2016, 03:42:58 PM
I'm jelly.
This should be a great build with NC equipment close at hand !
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 12, 2016, 05:28:48 PM
Nice design, looks great.  What's the coating?
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 13, 2016, 02:03:26 AM
Quote from: Neil_VT00 on July 12, 2016, 05:28:48 PM
Nice design, looks great.  What's the coating?

What your seeing in the photo is krylon high heat paint. As far as before print the round top was cut from 6061 aluminum sheet and the ring at the bottom is black steel banding, the L brackets i believe we're galvanized but I DA'ed the coating off and figured since I was painting it along with the low temps it shouldn't be an issue... I hope 😁
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on July 13, 2016, 09:45:24 AM
This is sick!!!!!  I'd think there would be a market for it if it was priced right!
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: varekai on July 13, 2016, 10:00:01 AM
Anxiously awaiting for more pics!!... Awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 13, 2016, 10:25:48 AM
Quote from: buckeyesmoker on July 12, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
Looks nice !!!    ....send one to me...I am in need of something like this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I may try and make a couple more, I'll let you know if i do :)
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 13, 2016, 10:28:04 AM
Quote from: varekai on July 13, 2016, 10:00:01 AM
Anxiously awaiting for more pics!!... Awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest worry is the IMUSA pot I ordered, the more I read on forums the less I feel good about my lid fitting.
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 13, 2016, 10:30:55 AM
Quote from: MikeRocksTheRed on July 13, 2016, 09:45:24 AM
This is sick!!!!!  I'd think there would be a market for it if it was priced right!

Thanks, the picture really makes it look better then it is. the round top was just cut out using a bandsaw then I smoothed it out on a belt sander. I may try and make a few more though.
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 13, 2016, 11:04:16 AM
You'll be fine with the IMUSA pot.  Take a look at this thread (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/mini-wsm-fail/) starting at post #25.  There are some suggestion about how people have made it work.
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Travis on July 17, 2016, 03:57:43 PM
Um, you ain't f&$kin around. Very nice work!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: 1st piece to my Smokey Joe WSM
Post by: Anglerman on July 17, 2016, 04:23:17 PM
Quote from: Travis on July 17, 2016, 03:57:43 PM
Um, you ain't f&$kin around. Very nice work!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Thanks :)

I'll be posting finished pictures soon, but because I'm rushing to finish it for a camping trip it's nothing special :(