Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Duke on March 18, 2013, 08:11:42 AM

Title: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Duke on March 18, 2013, 08:11:42 AM
Well here it is. It needs a lot of love doesn't it?  ???

(http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1194/001wnf.jpg) (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/001wnf.jpg/)

The inside is roached! :o

(http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1589/002hhk.jpg) (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/002hhk.jpg/)

Any idea what this is?

(http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1047/003mci.jpg) (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/003mci.jpg/)

(http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6339/004mms.jpg) (http://img542.imageshack.us/i/004mms.jpg/)

It can definitly be repaired. I am thinking a complete sanding on the cart and fixing whatever is broken is a start. Then redoing the kettle and adding a sweet handle should do the trick. I can see several hours here.

Thanks for the rescue effort AJ! 8)
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: SmoothSmoke on March 18, 2013, 08:38:44 AM
Are you going to build a door, or it's not pictured?  Looks like it will look real clean once fixed up.  Doesn't appear that hard to do. 
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Duke on March 18, 2013, 09:04:25 AM
Yeah, it's very doable. The door is sitting inside. I am thinking a complete refinishing would make it really nice. The old weber ad on these boasts the wood comes from Northern California. I think that's pretty cool in itself.
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Heyjude on March 18, 2013, 11:07:07 AM
Can't wait.. Duke didn't say, but we had to sneak it past security into the Kettle Compund!
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Duke on March 18, 2013, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: Heyjude on March 18, 2013, 11:07:07 AM
Can't wait.. Duke didn't say, but we had to sneak it past security into the Kettle Compund!
Yeah, that's how I threw my back out! lol..........:(
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Heyjude on March 18, 2013, 11:42:39 AM
No Way, doing that? You must ahve twisted when you should have turned. I took a wrong step off a raised parking lot, (before I came by) I felt my back do a whoa. But all seems to be OK today.
Get better buddy!  8)
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: 1911Ron on March 18, 2013, 05:17:02 PM
Nice save!  You are posting pictures when done right?
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Kilted_Griller on March 18, 2013, 05:33:58 PM
Quote from: Heyjude on March 18, 2013, 11:42:39 AM
No Way, doing that? You must ahve twisted when you should have turned. I took a wrong step off a raised parking lot, (before I came by) I felt my back do a whoa. But all seems to be OK today.
Get better buddy!  8)

Getting old is a bitch, ain't it?!
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Craig on March 18, 2013, 05:46:07 PM
Quote from: Duke on March 18, 2013, 08:11:42 AM

Any idea what this is?

(http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1047/003mci.jpg) (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/003mci.jpg/)

Is this a lid hook?  :-\  I have always wondered where you put the lids on these and the Seville's when in use. Jeff? Brian? Sheldon? Confirmation?  :)
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Duke on March 18, 2013, 07:31:24 PM
This sounds really stupid now, but since there are handles on both sides and we had to carry it across my sloped front yard I carried it facing away with my arms behind me.  ::) That's what did it. :-[

Yes Ron, I will post pictures when it's finished. Now off tho bed, my backs really in pain! :o
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: 1buckie on March 19, 2013, 03:37:11 AM
Quote from: Duke on March 18, 2013, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: Heyjude on March 18, 2013, 11:07:07 AM
Can't wait.. Duke didn't say, but we had to sneak it past security into the Kettle Compund!
Yeah, that's how I threw my back out! lol..........:(


It's the "tension" of having to sneak, muscles are more contracted, more likely to whack the back......
Relax.....Remember to breathe....it's only a kettle....... 8)
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Duke on March 19, 2013, 07:38:49 AM
I bet either Jeff or Ed know what that thing is. ???
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Golly on March 19, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
100% lid holder
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: MartyG on March 19, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Yeah - but that bracket is bent up, and you need two. The lid will hang from the top handle - half underneath the body of the cart and half outside the cart. Thanks to Jeff I grabbed one of his shots from an earlier post.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8573479272_7ae1237b1f.jpg)
Title: Re: Red Imperial Sequoia project
Post by: Jeff on March 19, 2013, 03:29:43 PM
Nice job Marty.  You beat me to it.  Yeah Shaun, you are supposed to have two of those hooks.  One of yours is bent, the other is missing.

Here's a better pic.

(http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/A_Tame76/Imperial%20Sequoia/048_zpsab3cc85e.jpg)