Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Craig on March 12, 2013, 08:05:18 PM

Title: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 12, 2013, 08:05:18 PM
I saw this last year on another site, I've been meaning to show it here, makes you wonder if this was used by the Weber Roadies (traveling salesmen) like from the group shot posted in "kettle club discussions" though this one appears to be from the '58-'63 era. It's got the thick wire leg clip that would hold the missing early disc ash pan that had "U" shaped cut-outs instead of "J" shaped (twist style) notches.


(http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8328/50sdemo.jpg)
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: reillyranch on March 12, 2013, 08:12:01 PM
That would be a rare find.  Just imagine how few of those were made.  I bet there were more Westerner and Galley Q's made then the "Demo"'s.  And those are impossible to find. 
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 13, 2013, 06:34:53 AM
I'd have to go back and look, but if my memory serves, the guy who scored this contacted Weber and they traded it for a new OTG.
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: G$ on March 13, 2013, 06:47:42 AM
It may just be me, but there is no way I would trade that history for a new OTG!
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 13, 2013, 06:59:15 AM
Quote from: G$ on March 13, 2013, 06:47:42 AM
It may just be me, but there is no way I would trade that history for a new OTG!
Your not alone G$. I can tell by looking at it that it has some cooking miles, so it'd be my classic 50s cooker if it were in my stable. I'd even talk to one of the grillfellas we know about a replica triangle ash pan. Oh the possibilities...... ;)
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Jeff on March 13, 2013, 07:11:19 AM
I made the mistake one time, NEVER AGAIN, of trading a vintage grill for a blue OTG.  These vintage grills are worth FAR MORE than a basic OTG (in my opinion)
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 13, 2013, 07:13:46 AM
What kind of vintage grill was it Jeff?
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: glrasmussen on March 13, 2013, 07:54:24 AM
Dang it! I made a Rookie mistake this fall. I was working a side job with my BIL, and didn't door knock on a "Kettle Gasser" with the same "Demo" Logo...I have him following up on it, as he still has been going back to that job site. Hope it is still there...
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Jeff on March 13, 2013, 08:04:49 AM
It was an old red Smokey Joe with the offset handle on top.  In was in super condition.  Its just like the one Shaun has.
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 13, 2013, 11:58:21 AM
Did they nibble on your ear, pull your hair or anything too?
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 13, 2013, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: Jeff on March 13, 2013, 08:04:49 AM
It was an old red Smokey Joe with the offset handle on top.  In was in super condition.  Its just like the one Shaun has.
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that this was early in your Weber days, right? Before TVWBB, before the 'itis set in?
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Jeff on March 14, 2013, 03:33:21 AM
Craig...I like your avatar.  And yes, this was VERY early on.  I didn't even know it was a Weber for sure at first since it has no name or markings anywhere on it.  I still think about it often.   Maybe one day Shaun will part with his...but I think his is a keeper.
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Duke on March 14, 2013, 06:46:40 AM
I like that avatar too Craig. It looks like an avacado. Jeff, everything has a price.
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Jeff on March 14, 2013, 07:17:01 AM
Quote from: Duke on March 14, 2013, 06:46:40 AM
I like that avatar too Craig. It looks like an avacado. Jeff, everything has a price.

Yeah, I know.  But I think I might be scared  :)
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Duke on March 14, 2013, 07:21:50 AM
Partial trades are also considered.
Title: Re: Demo Kettle
Post by: Craig on March 14, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
Thanks guys! The avatar I borrowed is an early-mid 70s 'cado I found on Weber's FB page the other day. They were talking about how "back in the 60s, green wasnt just for St. Patricks Day" and had a pic of this cado. I had to save it. I wish it were mine. The grill I mean.  ;)


(http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8161/1973avocado.jpg)