Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Hell Fire Grill on March 11, 2013, 03:01:35 PM

Title: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 11, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
Any of you guys have any SS grates for your kettles? I always wanted one so I finally ordered it today.

Normally I would make the parts myself but I cant buy the materials for the cost of the grate and shipping.
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Danny C on March 11, 2013, 04:08:25 PM
I have one on my 26 they come with it, to replace that grate is like 109.00 or somewhere around there. I want to start buying them for my 22s also, I use a wire wheel with my cordless drill to clean it works great
Danny
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: etruax on March 12, 2013, 08:32:25 PM
I purchased and SS 22 grate from Weber and really like it.  Wish they offered the same in 18.

Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: HankB on March 13, 2013, 05:18:51 AM
While the SS is certainly an improvement over the plated grates (*) I think I'd spring for a cast iron grate were I going to upgrade.

I have a rectangular CI grate that fits a 22.5 perfectly - even allows the hinged sections to open - so I cannot justify the expense.

(*) Am I the only person who thinks that Weber is a little too sparing with the plating on their grates? They get rusty if I look cross eyed at them. I suppose that gives them a steady stream of replacement sales.  :-\
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: 1buckie on March 13, 2013, 08:42:13 AM
Quote from: HankB on March 13, 2013, 05:18:51 AM
While the SS is certainly an improvement over the plated grates (*) I think I'd spring for a cast iron grate were I going to upgrade.

I have a rectangular CI grate that fits a 22.5 perfectly - even allows the hinged sections to open - so I cannot justify the expense.

(*) Am I the only person who thinks that Weber is a little too sparing with the plating on their grates? They get rusty if I look cross eyed at them. I suppose that gives them a steady stream of replacement sales.  :-\


Yeah, but I just scrape 'em down & fire off a huge load of 'turds & they start actin' like cast iron....

that rectangle you got is cool, just right .... ;D
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 13, 2013, 11:39:14 AM
At damn near $90 Craycort can keep their CI grates. I have rectangle grates I use when I need one for sear marks etc. It took me 10+ years to pry $30 from my hand for a stainless one.

Weber needs to capture their market share on the CI grates, the profit margin is huge!

Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: bob hope on March 13, 2013, 07:47:34 PM
I ordered the Char-Broil CI and just it today. Fits perfect cant wait to try it out!
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 20, 2013, 10:58:20 AM
I got the grate today. I'll put up pics after I cook something tonight.

Cornputer dont want to take pics off the chip right this moment.
Title: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Bbqmiller on March 20, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
I got one for my performer after using the one that came with the 26 in kettle. They are definitely a nice upgrade from the plated ones and have a better lifespan. The one on my 26 in kettle still is on good shape after 4 years of heavy use.
Title: Re: 22 1/2" SS Weber Grates
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on March 21, 2013, 03:27:17 AM
I didn't get to cook anything with it yet but here it is. My first $30 grill grate, siting there cold and lonely. Maybe I'll cook myself a ham samich for lunch later if I get time.

(http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/americanwest/SSGrate002_zps5f767c70.jpg)