Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Old Dave on December 04, 2015, 09:55:40 PM

Title: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: Old Dave on December 04, 2015, 09:55:40 PM
This practice cook was done on a cool morning with a temperature of about freezing. Was also doing some rub trials.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03350.jpg)

The Jumbo Joe heating up for the steak.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03344.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03345.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03330.jpg)

I have a Stainless Steel charcoal basket that matches the size of my Grill Grates and also my Weber cast iron griddle. I start with a full chimney of lump and pour about 1/4th of it cold into my charcoal basket. I fire up the remaining lump and add it to the basket and add a chunk of hickory.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03346.jpg)

Add the grill grates and let it heat up for about 20 minutes.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03347.jpg)

Get my tools ready as it goes pretty fast.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03343.jpg)

I let the meat warm up for about 45 minutes. The full size steak is prepped with my favorite steak rub and and would be the steak I would turn in at a contest. The two half steaks are part of my on going rub trials.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03348.jpg)

Checked the cooker after the 20 minute warm up and found it at about 625 degrees on the Grill Grates and this should be perfect for the char marks.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03349.jpg)

Cooked my turn-in steak to medium as required and it looked pretty good coming off of the cooker.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03355.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03357.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/WSM%20Cooking/DSC03359.jpg)

I think the competition steak looks pretty good and did come out quite well.

Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: austin87 on December 04, 2015, 10:14:17 PM
I love that setup with the custom basket and the accessories to fit perfectly. Just awesome.

That steak looks perfect medium too. Really nice job.
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: mrbill on December 05, 2015, 12:13:40 AM
looks perfect to me!
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: mattmountz94 on December 05, 2015, 03:15:11 AM
Really nice job. I like how the grill marks aren't super black like you see with some grill grates. Did you cook with the lid off?
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: WNC on December 05, 2015, 06:38:05 AM
Nice set up, and great looking steak!

Are you practicing for anything in particular?
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: Old Dave on December 05, 2015, 08:38:55 AM
mattmountz94,

I had the lid on as much as possible considering the steak had to be serviced every 2-1/2 minutes.

WNC,

I am practicing for the SCA events.
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: Jon on December 05, 2015, 06:35:04 PM
I'll bet it is pure hell practicing for those things.

"Honey, I'm sorry I can't watch 'Dancing With The Stars' tonight with you. I have steak cooking practice!"
Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: Lumpy Coal on December 05, 2015, 07:13:28 PM
Great method...great looking steak!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Competition Steak Practice / Weber Jumbo Joe
Post by: weldboy on December 06, 2015, 12:47:57 PM
Very cool...Nice looking chunk of beef


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk