Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: glrasmussen on September 07, 2015, 08:43:51 PM

Title: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 07, 2015, 08:43:51 PM
These are words I heard from my father growing up. I have been watching and seeing some great collections. I could have posted, "In show us your pit or what is your workhorse." I have not been as active as of late. But thought this was worthy of it's own thread. There has been collective finds going on. I congratulate those that have secured those.

I finally brought my family together. Not as impressive as others, but feel pretty good about how I have attained it. I'm just a couple pieces short. Almost all are local scores. I have missed 2 Chestnuts, they have gone south...

This was a not an easy task, and one Green SS could not make it. I am blessed with an awesome wife that understands. For some, where your wife complains of Weberitis, you may show her these pics. She won't think you have issues. ;)

Lighting was an issue, sorry, we live in the woods and there was fires out west that left a haze.
Hope you can enjoy and understand, "Rome was not built in a day." Keep in mind Want/Need, no matter what Weber color/vintage you own, it is the cook you share with family and friends that matters.

Yes, Gassers
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/C97B7133-2BAA-4440-B674-C03F26D8B8BF_zpstzt3nnit.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/C97B7133-2BAA-4440-B674-C03F26D8B8BF_zpstzt3nnit.jpg.html)

90's to date
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/4777D9DA-BC40-49A8-A462-DBAE46A38844_zpshnyvavet.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/4777D9DA-BC40-49A8-A462-DBAE46A38844_zpshnyvavet.jpg.html)

80's
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/1B5225B1-41E7-4ECC-91E1-9C06E454D8A3_zpseenrwzrs.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/1B5225B1-41E7-4ECC-91E1-9C06E454D8A3_zpseenrwzrs.jpg.html)

70"s
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/4C00B468-F18F-42BF-98D8-7DD058F89C98_zpsmtcw3s6a.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/4C00B468-F18F-42BF-98D8-7DD058F89C98_zpsmtcw3s6a.jpg.html)

60's
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/3F113F2E-50A6-45F0-90DD-6E41AC8825E5_zpsnby2gucu.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/3F113F2E-50A6-45F0-90DD-6E41AC8825E5_zpsnby2gucu.jpg.html)

MLH & MBH
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/F16ABEE0-1EBB-4C28-BF08-838B4939D4CE_zpszjcsecor.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/F16ABEE0-1EBB-4C28-BF08-838B4939D4CE_zpszjcsecor.jpg.html)

All together...
(http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/glrasmussen/FF262225-3665-4342-BE1F-5AD94CC66F82_zpsz3gki0ag.jpg) (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/glrasmussen/media/FF262225-3665-4342-BE1F-5AD94CC66F82_zpsz3gki0ag.jpg.html)
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: 1911Ron on September 08, 2015, 01:59:35 AM
Nice!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Hogsy on September 08, 2015, 02:28:51 AM
Sweet, sweet, sweet ...... Awesome pics !!!! That is a seriously cool collection you have there. And one any grillfella would be proud of. Don't mind me I'm just gonna perve those pics a little while longer 😀
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: LightningBoldtz on September 08, 2015, 04:05:55 AM
Impressive, that is one impressive collection of Webers.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: vmile on September 08, 2015, 04:45:18 AM
Good to see that 5000 gasser at the head of your collection- they are a machine!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Camp on September 08, 2015, 05:07:44 AM
Love the smoker on the cart.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: zavod44 on September 08, 2015, 05:12:59 AM
Really incredible collection.  Lots of hard work pounding local craigslist and garage sales.....serious perseverance.   

Title: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Winz on September 08, 2015, 05:16:57 AM
I don't recall Rome having gardens as beautiful as yours.
Amazing collection!
Winz
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 05:41:49 AM
Quote from: zavod44 on September 08, 2015, 05:12:59 AM
Really incredible collection.  Lots of hard work pounding local craigslist and garage sales.....serious perseverance.

Yes Brian, a lot  of ground and pound to gather these. You understand.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: chefn58 on September 08, 2015, 06:32:44 AM
That is one hell of a beautiful collection!  Congrats and thanks for showing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Heyjude on September 08, 2015, 06:39:55 AM
Life is good at the end of that Rainbow!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Maxmbob on September 08, 2015, 06:59:44 AM
Very impressive collection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Idahawk on September 08, 2015, 07:09:17 AM
Fantastic collection of cookers !

Good thing the hammock was close by after moving all those :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Uncle JJ on September 08, 2015, 08:24:45 AM
holy cow!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Scott Zee on September 08, 2015, 08:37:25 AM
Amazing collection!!! and your property is beautiful too.       8)
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Tommy B on September 08, 2015, 09:00:04 AM
what a collection! I love the WSM table/cart. I would invest in that!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 08, 2015, 09:40:36 AM
Holy cow GLR, Awesome collection man! Even that sweet Genesis platinum gets a nod from me! Very nice!

Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: crowderjd on September 08, 2015, 10:21:53 AM
Wow!  That is a beautiful collection!  I'll let my wife take a peek at this to let her know that I'm not that bad!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: GregS on September 08, 2015, 11:43:01 AM
very nice Greg! 

congrats man! 
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: OGlenn on September 08, 2015, 02:48:13 PM
Wow, helluva collection Greg, well done!  My fave in that group will always be The Chief, but that Genny 5000 (or whatever the moniker was for the glass-doored gasser cart) is a close second.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: kendoll on September 08, 2015, 02:51:55 PM
Fantastic collection.

I would love to one day build a collection like that, especially through hitting local ads and thrift shops etc (but that ain't gonna happen here).

What a great setting to have them in too.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: WNC on September 08, 2015, 03:59:02 PM
Wow awesome collection! Patience can be key sometimes
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: landgraftj on September 08, 2015, 05:11:55 PM
Was lucky enough to get a sneak peak at these photos. Just as impressive now Greg!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: saxart on September 08, 2015, 06:39:45 PM
"Italy has changed. But Rome is Rome."
-Robert De Niro

Amazing collection Greg...You've certainly built your own Rome with that set!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: WNC on September 08, 2015, 03:59:02 PM
Wow awesome collection! Patience can be key sometimes

Thank You. @WNC, exactly. Simple spoken and true.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 06:51:25 PM
Quote from: OGlenn on September 08, 2015, 02:48:13 PM
Wow, helluva collection Greg, well done!  My fave in that group will always be The Chief, but that Genny 5000 (or whatever the moniker was for the glass-doored gasser cart) is a close second.

Thanks @OGlenn! It is actually a 5500, I believe. It is an awesome gasser. The thermal couple is a PITA, you can't fire up the Charcoal starter without having the box going... Chief was the start to this, so it is special.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 07:03:46 PM
Just want to say thanks for all the positive responses. I have other shots, but I am not a @pbe gummi bear or @MartyG.

This hobby has been therapy for me. It is not all the grills shown, but the ones that have been gifted or passed on that are most important to me. Tomorrow would have been our sons 25th birthday. i do this in his memory, but his brothers will carry on the legacy.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 07:05:51 PM
Quote from: saxart on September 08, 2015, 06:39:45 PM
"Italy has changed. But Rome is Rome."
-Robert De Niro

Amazing collection Greg...You've certainly built your own Rome with that set!

And not in a day @saxart :) Thanks buddy!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: tb80 on September 08, 2015, 07:06:39 PM
Amazing collection.  And beautiful scenery. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: vmile on September 08, 2015, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 06:51:25 PM

Thanks @OGlenn! It is actually a 5500, I believe. It is an awesome gasser. The thermal couple is a PITA, you can't fire up the Charcoal starter without having the box going... Chief was the start to this, so it is special.

I think it is a 5000, the 5500 was the built in version (It had a plinth under it rather than wheels). And it is fairly easy to remove/bypass the Flame check valve, which also lets you turn off the front burner if you wish, keeping the others on.

But hay...what a collection you have. I stand in awe.......
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 07:30:45 PM
Quote from: vmile on September 08, 2015, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 06:51:25 PM

Thanks @OGlenn! It is actually a 5500, I believe. It is an awesome gasser. The thermal couple is a PITA, you can't fire up the Charcoal starter without having the box going... Chief was the start to this, so it is special.

I think it is a 5000, the 5500 was the built in version (It had a plinth under it rather than wheels). And it is fairly easy to remove/bypass the Flame check valve, which also lets you turn off the front burner if you wish, keeping the others on.

But hay...what a collection you have. I stand in awe.......

Thanks @vmile. I did take it apart. I think I would have to upgrade. Or can I just plug off? When time permits, I will have to take another gander at it.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: pbe gummi bear on September 08, 2015, 07:38:49 PM
The collection is coming along nicely, Greg. Your dedication shows through all those kettles.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: vmile on September 08, 2015, 10:01:01 PM
Quote from: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 07:30:45 PM
Thanks @vmile. I did take it apart. I think I would have to upgrade. Or can I just plug off? When time permits, I will have to take another gander at it.

The flame check valve joins the gas inlet line to the manifold. Disconnect the gas line from the flame check valve, then unscrew the flame check valve from the manifold.
You then need a male/male adapter to join the gas line to the manifold.  No need to upgrade the manifold, just need to get the correct male/male adapter.

The Flame check button then sits nice and flat on the control cover.

The valves seem to fail over time (the button does not stay down), and Weber do not offer a replacement part as far as I can see. My main gasser is a 5000, and the flame check actually failed on it last month, so I have just done the 'mod'. I also have another 5000 as a spare, and when I bought that one, the owner told me that the Flame check did not work, but it was easy to work around,  "just sit half a brick on it".
That actually does work, but it's ugly.........
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Jon on September 08, 2015, 11:27:23 PM
Wow! The grills are great.

Aside from that, you have an amazing back yard. And patio. And hammock. And woods. What a happy place.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: glrasmussen on September 09, 2015, 04:30:10 AM
@vmile, thanks! When I ordered burner tubes, Weber CSR wondered how I had attained this 5000, she said the were the Cadillac. She had mentioned about the flame check and said to keep a rock handy to hold it down.

@Jon, thanks. Perennial gardens are my other hobby. Easy to maintain and your not constantly replanting every year.
They are enjoyable, but this year the deer have used them as feeding plots...
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: jkolantern on September 10, 2015, 06:45:37 AM
Quote from: glrasmussen on September 08, 2015, 05:41:49 AM
Quote from: zavod44 on September 08, 2015, 05:12:59 AM
Really incredible collection.  Lots of hard work pounding local craigslist and garage sales.....serious perseverance.

Yes Brian, a lot  of ground and pound to gather these. You understand.

Really cool.  I appreciate the effort too. To me, that's the fun of a collection-anybody can throw a checkbook at a problem. I don't have nearly the collection of grills, but they've all come home to me in the trunk or truck bed.  I also collect books, and while I've paid pretty good money (though always below what online sellers were asking) for some first editions on ebay, my favorites are the ones that I've found at church fairs, thrift stores and library sales.  The hunt and the story are as much/more fun as the item.
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: wyd on September 10, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
Wow that is an impressive display. 
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Craig on September 10, 2015, 06:28:31 PM
Greg that is one hell of an impressive collection! I envy your scenery. I also got a sneak peak at these photos and to see them all come together is pretty special. Rescue. Restore. Respect. At its finest!
Title: Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
Post by: Qreps on September 11, 2015, 07:17:17 PM
Wow very impressive and such a beautiful setting. Your very blessed to have such a understanding wife.