Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: SixZeroFour on August 31, 2015, 09:48:06 AM

Title: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on August 31, 2015, 09:48:06 AM
With @harris92 just posting up his gorgeous BLACK custom - I figured it was a good time to introduce it's inverted twin!

Like Stephen's kettle this custom also was found to have white wheels hiding underneath a good layer of surface rust. 8) The tray was also quite rusted but the underside was most certainly painted black. I decided to do the whole pan both to protect it and so that it looked uniform. Since the pan has some pitting I didn't want to just spray it gloss black as it would have looked unnatural - instead I chose to go with a very dark metallic finish that was called "Oil Rubbed Bronze". I wanted to go for a natural bare metal type finish but one that didn't look out of place on the kettle. It's a weathered finish with just a hint of the bronze metallic in direct sun. I love how it came out and wont be changing a thing!

The restore took me 5 days on this one. More than double what I've spent on any other kettle I have. The white color made it very difficult to clean so I had to work at a snails pace to avoid causing any damage to the finish. The lid has a few sections where the finish has worn a bit, and it has a few grate weld blow outs - but considering it's age it's its wonderful shape. The bowl is even better than the lid with almost all of the porcelain retaining a nice glossy finish to it. I plan to do a blog post showing the restoration progress start to finish... but this is what it looked like a few weeks ago :)


(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff21.jpg)(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff22.jpg)


And now today...


The white is a nightmare to photograph in sunlight - even worse than lime... either that or my camera just sucks because it surely couldn't be the operator ;)
I will try to get some with less glare once the weather permits. Until then I hope you enjoy!


(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff01.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff02.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff03.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff04.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff05.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff06.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff07.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff08.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff09.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff10.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff11.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff12.jpg)

It has a white speckled interior like an old SJ:

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff13.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff14.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff15.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff16.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff17.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff18.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff19.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/08/31/buff20.jpg)

- Matt
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Maxmbob on August 31, 2015, 09:52:26 AM
Great job Matt.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Winz on August 31, 2015, 10:09:17 AM
Matt - that is simply spectacular!  I don't think I have ever seen a more amazing original Weber kettle.  Truly a one of a kind.


Congratulations.


Winz
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: harris92 on August 31, 2015, 10:12:27 AM
That's a beauty. Congrats Matt
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: JDD on August 31, 2015, 10:41:12 AM
Wow what a restore!!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Craig on August 31, 2015, 10:47:18 AM
It's like a White Knight! Congratulations and nice restore!  You don't see these everyday.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Idahawk on August 31, 2015, 11:14:42 AM
   Just a Marvelous kettle and another fantastic job bringing it back to life Matt, congrats .



 




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Uncle JJ on August 31, 2015, 12:06:22 PM
Goodness, another amazing summer grail!  Glad you snagged it!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Hogsy on August 31, 2015, 12:15:42 PM
Well done Matt, what a great piece
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: indy82z on August 31, 2015, 12:23:51 PM
Wow!! Awesome job Matt!!! The kettle whisperer strikes again ;)
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: crumbsnatcher on August 31, 2015, 12:59:40 PM
Beautiful!  Nicely restored.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: LightningBoldtz on August 31, 2015, 01:00:23 PM
Stunning absolutely stunning.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: WNC on August 31, 2015, 01:01:33 PM
I'm just stunned! Absolutely beautiful, and excellent job on the restore Matt!
So, what's up with the no markings on the lid vent? I realize this is old, but like first run old? Next to George's original with the red base, I don't know that I've seen such a cool kettle!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: pbe gummi bear on August 31, 2015, 02:45:50 PM
That's absolutely awesome, Matt. I can't wait to see the rest of the story in the blog post.

Re: taking pictures of a white kettle- your camera likely tries to set the exposure such that the average pixel intensity is at 50%. Since there is soo much dark hedge behind the super bright kettle, it will bump up your exposure and blow out your kettle. I know you like your trademarked hedge backdrop but if you put the kettle against something lighter you'll get a much better exposure. Walls inside the house typically work well. Feel free to tell your gf that Gummi said you can bring it in. :)

Again, Congrats on the score. I take it that this will be in the permanent collection.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: jcnaz on August 31, 2015, 03:16:15 PM
Wow!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: lemisfits on August 31, 2015, 03:23:21 PM
Nice.  Very nice.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on August 31, 2015, 03:32:44 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and for giving me a place to share this awesome hobby.

@pbe gummi bear Thanks gummi - I knew I was doing something wrong! I'm not concerned with the hedge being in the shot or not I just have a tiny little backyard so there isn't much other interesting backdrop around. :) I think I'll try it in the garage under fluorescent and see if it does any better... With a lighter backdrop like you said. Cheers!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: charred on August 31, 2015, 05:30:29 PM
Congrats on a tremendous restore! It cleaned up better than I hoped. Again I say- that kettle is a museum piece and should make a nationwide tour....

Aha!- a traveling exhibition of the classics.  :)
Title: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: tb80 on August 31, 2015, 05:36:09 PM
Wow. That looks amazing. Great job restoring it and what an amazing find. Truly a one of a kind. Dare I say...epic?!?!?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on August 31, 2015, 06:14:38 PM
MY MY
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: MrHoss on August 31, 2015, 07:26:56 PM
I'll say it....epictacular.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: fedex on August 31, 2015, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: LightningBoldtz on August 31, 2015, 01:00:23 PM
Stunning absolutely stunning.

What he said.  Another Kettle reborn.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: 1911Ron on August 31, 2015, 07:50:05 PM
What a great Restore, well done sir well done!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Bob BQ on August 31, 2015, 08:11:48 PM
Just... wow. Congrats!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SmokenJoe on August 31, 2015, 09:37:42 PM
I think we all agree that it's great to see a truly rare (likely one-of-a-kind) "old" Weber looking almost "as-new" thanks to your efforts.  Thank you for taking such care during the restoration, and enjoy being able to see that kettle on a daily basis  ...  it's just astounding.              SJ
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Bob BQ on August 31, 2015, 10:05:57 PM
Let's see it next to the Glen Blue!  ...and lime, and yellow, and...
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Qreps on September 01, 2015, 02:17:48 PM
Wow so cool. Congratulations .
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: northwestkettle on September 01, 2015, 04:18:15 PM
That is a very cool grill for sure awesome score and great restore
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Fishawn on September 01, 2015, 07:04:38 PM
Very Cool! Wow!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Heyjude on September 01, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
Its hard to hate you with all you have accomplished.. So when I say "I hate you", I think I mean that "Wow, that's incredible, you're so damn lucky"
I hate you!  "Walks away shaking his head"
8)
@SixZeroFour 
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 01, 2015, 07:11:28 PM
@Heyjude

lol thanks man I hate you too ;D
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Cochise on September 01, 2015, 07:15:34 PM
Congrats Matt....it couldn't have fallen into better hands. A perfect example of why its good to make it easy for new members to post items for sale.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: TheDude on September 01, 2015, 07:15:53 PM
I was gonna comment, but I didn't. I thought about it, but just can't think of anything worth saying.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: AcrossFromHoss on September 02, 2015, 08:11:42 AM
Holly. Great score buddy that things pretty.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on September 02, 2015, 08:39:00 AM
Quote from: Heyjude on September 01, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
Its hard to hate you with all you have accomplished.. So when I say "I hate you", I think I mean that "Wow, that's incredible, you're so damn lucky"
I hate you!  "Walks away shaking his head"
8)
@SixZeroFour
I think most of us understand you completely 8)
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Tommy B on September 02, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
I was wondering who ended up with this beauty! Great restore!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: THUNDERDOME on September 02, 2015, 10:25:41 AM
Awesome. Love the up close pics
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 02, 2015, 10:45:25 AM
Cheers Guys.
Here it is up next to an Ivory - it's a very crisp white in comparison.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/09/02/buff23.jpg)

Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 02, 2015, 10:49:51 AM
... and a few more "Before" shots

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/09/02/DSC02990Custom.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/09/02/DSC02991Custom.jpg)
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: jkolantern on September 03, 2015, 09:34:26 AM
That's simply incredible, both the grill itself (I love seeing new things come crawling out of the woodpile, and that sure is something) and the restore.  Are those even the same legs?  Unreal.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Matt_T on September 04, 2015, 05:23:00 PM
Matt for the win!

Great work I really like the white and how it cleaned up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Craig on September 04, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
@SixZeroFour whats the best way to remove the rust streaks? I've got one 22 that is giving me fits around the MBH's and no amount of 0000 is getting it done... Tips?

Oh and still a killer Buffalo!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: pbe gummi bear on September 04, 2015, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: Craig on September 04, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
@SixZeroFour whats the best way to remove the rust streaks? I've got one 22 that is giving me fits around the MBH's and no amount of 0000 is getting it done... Tips?

Oh and still a killer Buffalo!

@Craig- Bar Keepers Friend on 0000 steel wool
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Craig on September 04, 2015, 07:57:17 PM
Quote from: pbe gummi bear on September 04, 2015, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: Craig on September 04, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
@SixZeroFour whats the best way to remove the rust streaks? I've got one 22 that is giving me fits around the MBH's and no amount of 0000 is getting it done... Tips?

Oh and still a killer Buffalo!

@Craig- Bar Keepers Friend on 0000 steel wool

Thanks Gumms!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: zavod44 on September 04, 2015, 08:08:55 PM
I've had luck with goo gone
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 04, 2015, 09:21:58 PM
@Craig @pbe gummi bear

Be careful with steel wool and barkeeps friend guys - see here :-\
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/when-steel-wool-goes-wrong/msg182527/ (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/when-steel-wool-goes-wrong/msg182527/)

I use a spray head on a bottle of CLR and mist it onto the stain... Wait about 10 seconds and then give it a gentle once over with the steel wool and you should see notable improvement. Just keep an eye on it as you go and don't scrub too hard. Do a little scrubbing - then rinse and inspect - then repeat. Seems to do the trick most of the time anyways!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: pbe gummi bear on September 04, 2015, 09:23:42 PM
@SixZeroFour do you actually need to use steel wool or can you use a terry cloth with the CLR?
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Craig on September 04, 2015, 09:24:14 PM
Thanks @SixZeroFour I'll give that a try on my boobie.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: SixZeroFour on September 04, 2015, 09:28:58 PM
You could certainly try it on a cloth but I find those handle streaks are usually pretty stubborn... at the same time never hurts to start small and work your way up. Better safe than sorry!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Craig on September 04, 2015, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: SixZeroFour on September 04, 2015, 09:28:58 PM
I find those handle streaks are usually pretty stubborn...

Righto!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Peaspurple on September 06, 2015, 07:19:23 PM
Wow. That is one cool looking grill.
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: Hofy on September 07, 2015, 09:02:01 AM
Wow, that is an awesome find!
Title: Re: The White Buffalo - Weber 22.5" Marbled Custom
Post by: MacEggs on September 11, 2015, 09:09:47 AM
Why does this Custom paint scheme look like the bathroom floor after my wife blow-dries her hair?? .....  ??? :P ;)

Nice score, Matt, and very impressive restore.  :D