Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: GOMRDS on June 08, 2014, 04:36:14 PM

Title: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: GOMRDS on June 08, 2014, 04:36:14 PM
Tonight I cooked my first whole chicken on the 'new' red SS! It was also my first grilling duration greater than ~20 minutes. By my newbie standards, it was a great success... enough of a confidence boost to embolden me onward to more adventures!

- 5lb bird
- 60 minute cook time (no lid lifting!)
- 380 degree avg temp, fluctuated 360-390
- Indirect cook, coals in the baskets

The internal temp was perfect, and I also got a light crunch on the skin. Next time I think I'll try a stronger marinade to boost the flavor quotient.

Below is the end result. Not pictured is the asparagus, which I did in the veggie basket right after the chicken & taters came off.

(http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r777/GOMRDS/Grillchicken_zpsc5715772.jpg) (http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/GOMRDS/media/Grillchicken_zpsc5715772.jpg.html)
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: 1buckie on June 08, 2014, 05:47:51 PM


                    EMBOLDENED !!!! 


Yep......I like that word....... 8)


        Good Show !!!!!


                    Onward & Upward !!!!!
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: Craig on June 08, 2014, 07:18:04 PM
Looks good from where I sit! Nice job!
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: jcnaz on June 08, 2014, 08:59:54 PM
Yummy yardbird!
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: GOMRDS on June 09, 2014, 03:49:45 AM
Something I wasn't expecting is how well the wings turned out. Next time I might skip the whole chicken and just spring for a package of fresh/raw wings.

I have a feeling I'm going to gain 10 lbs this summer...  :-\
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: Bman on June 09, 2014, 04:23:06 AM
You always remember your first - and this is no exception.  Good lookin' bird and can't wait to see what you spring for next.  :)
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: blackdog1101 on June 09, 2014, 05:55:35 AM
Looks great!  I should try wings too, I usually do rear quarters.
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: mike.stavlund on June 10, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
OUTSTANDING!    You are off and running, my friend.

(and kudos for using a good drip pan-- I cleaned that bowl up way too carefully to have someone just fill it with chicken juices!  ;-)
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: Cuda Dan on June 11, 2014, 05:34:22 AM
GOMRDS,
Nice job on the chicken. Now throw a couple of pieces of hardwood on to the charcoal that is in baskets just before you put the grill on. That will give your chicken a smoky taste.
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: blackdog043 on June 11, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
Nice job on the chicken!! Keep it up and you will be doing your thanksgiving bird on there!!! 
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: GOMRDS on June 11, 2014, 04:33:58 PM
Quote from: Cuda Dan on June 11, 2014, 05:34:22 AM
GOMRDS,
Nice job on the chicken. Now throw a couple of pieces of hardwood on to the charcoal that is in baskets just before you put the grill on. That will give your chicken a smoky taste.

Thanks for the tip. How long does the wood need to soak before going on?
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: GOMRDS on June 11, 2014, 04:37:45 PM
Quote from: mike.stavlund on June 10, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
OUTSTANDING!    You are off and running, my friend.

(and kudos for using a good drip pan-- I cleaned that bowl up way too carefully to have someone just fill it with chicken juices!  ;-)

Regarding the drip pan, just trying to make you proud, Uncle Mike  ;)

Come to think of it, Bman sent me the link to your FB photos/instructions, so you can claim some credit!
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: 1buckie on June 11, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
Quote from: GOMRDS on June 11, 2014, 04:33:58 PM
Quote from: Cuda Dan on June 11, 2014, 05:34:22 AM
GOMRDS,
Nice job on the chicken. Now throw a couple of pieces of hardwood on to the charcoal that is in baskets just before you put the grill on. That will give your chicken a smoky taste.

Thanks for the tip. How long does the wood need to soak before going on?


You're welcome to test out soaking wood if you'd like.....

I do not, except for one certain instance which I'll describe at the end...............

Here's why:  The only way to actually get wood to absorb a lot of liquid, with the possible exception of wine (which won't be much different than water) is to boil it in the liquid, or soak it for an extremely long time in hot liquid, in which case it usually molds & ends up stinky......


I've seen people use moisture meters on pieces of wood soaked for varying lengths of time & no discernible difference was detected............


See this page of the Wedliny / Domowe sausage making site for a very concise rundown on this stuff..........

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-smoking/wood


I do use a controlled burn with moistened shread, or 'sawdust' as some folks call it, moistened, but not soaking wet....

See Here:


http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/this-is-great-!!!/15/ 

Not quite halfway down the page is the description......like said, though, test the waters, so to speak & you may find an even balance that works.....mostly any wood I've tried larger than the shread produced at least a slightly, if not strong sometimes, bitter taste............
Title: Re: I've become emboldened!!!
Post by: teerhardy on June 12, 2014, 02:45:15 AM
Quote from: mike.stavlund on June 10, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
OUTSTANDING!    You are off and running, my friend.

(and kudos for using a good drip pan-- I cleaned that bowl up way too carefully to have someone just fill it with chicken juices!  ;-)

Well done!  Remember, the Grill Yoda will always be watching!