My wife wants a gas grill to cook things when I'm not around. She likes it when I grill but I can't get her to use charcoal.
She wants to turn it on and cook and turn it off- grilling veggies or maybe roasting a chicken.
Ive been looking for a used one in our area for a while.
My original thought has been a genesis or spirit
But a WebberQ keeps popping up here.
Have any of you ever used one?
Thoughts?
For light duty the Q's are perfect. They have a very nice porcelin coated cast iron grate and get hot really fast. I have used all 3, I like the portability of the 100/1000 series, but I think the 200 gives the best of both worlds as a home cooker and a portable.
get her a griddle pan for the stove. same thing and its in her natural habitat.
the kitchen.
its a joke that had to be made.
I have used my Baby-Q for years.
It's compact, and well designed.
If you want to invest, and have the room, Weber has some really nice NEW grills.
I just got this gasser, and it's awesome.
It's the Spirit E-220
(http://images.firecraft.com/WEBER-SPIRIT-E220-46310001-9-POP.jpg)
I have a Q100 I picked up cheap off of CL and use for quick things like hot dogs or searing. It works great for cooking direct, but really can't do indirect as it only has one burner. The larger Q grills have two burners, so I believe they would be a little more versatile. I like mine, but it is definitely limited on what it can do, and I will replace it with one of the larger Q's if the right deal comes along
Even the 2 burner q's aren't that good at indirect. I would look for a 2 or 3 burner Genesis or Spirit.
If going used, these are fairly inexpensive and aren't too bad to refurb or clean up.
Way more versatile and user friendly. Parts are easy and you have various grate options
Just my 2 sense.. 8)
I have an older Genesis that is an awesome grill. It was a $40 CL find.
I also have a Q 200. It can cook steaks, chops, burgers or dogs (or veggies) like a champ! I have also grilled chicken thighs and wings on it with good success. Unlike most gas grills the drippings fall below the burner and run down to a drip pan. Flair ups are a non-issue if you keep the grill clean.
As stated earlier, there really isn't an indirect option with this grill. I have not attempted a whole chicken, but I bet that it would work.
The Q's are great , I have all 3 models and love them!!
It's all about technique when cooking indirect on the Q
This is how we do it downunder
(http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q585/joelhogston/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FE8DE313-4B5A-45C5-AA8B-92887CBBCD94_zpsffotqoz6.jpg) (http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/joelhogston/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FE8DE313-4B5A-45C5-AA8B-92887CBBCD94_zpsffotqoz6.jpg.html)
Weber OZ have even designed their own indirect cooking setups for convection cooking
(http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q585/joelhogston/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FCB8DFEB-1027-4727-8223-71735184AAC8_zpsdeyt1x5h.jpg) (http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/joelhogston/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FCB8DFEB-1027-4727-8223-71735184AAC8_zpsdeyt1x5h.jpg.html)
I have a Q also and its a great little grill. I haven't filled the tank since I started with charcoal to my wife's dismay.
I picked up two of these in bad shape and built one out of the parts , I'm in both for less then 30 bucks .
Same deal wife wants to grill when I'm gone, and like someone said a far better set up for indirect plus way more room .
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/sevuqa6u.jpg)
Can't argue with the Q for light duty.
Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
Quote from: GOMRDS on May 27, 2014, 09:01:39 AM
Can't argue with the Q for light duty.
Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
[/
A 3 burner Weber grill has changed little under the hood over the years , they've added more tin , but everything else is the same.
This is exactly what I've been looking for - or a Red one ;-)
Just have not seen one on our local Craig's list in a month.
In fact there was a Skyline for sale in orlando that looked perfect - but thats four hours away from me!
We have a vacation planned near Atlanta Ga soon- there are always a few up there for sale.
If I have not found one by then I'll pick one up there.
BWB
Quote from: Idahawk on May 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM
I picked up two of these in bad shape and built one out of the parts , I'm in both for less then 30 bucks .
Same deal wife wants to grill when I'm gone, and like someone said a far better set up for indirect plus way more room .
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/sevuqa6u.jpg)
Quote from: bwb on May 27, 2014, 11:24:02 AM
This is exactly what I've been looking for - or a Red one ;-)
Just have not seen one on our local Craig's list in a month.
In fact there was a Skyline for sale in orlando that looked perfect - but thats four hours away from me!
We have a vacation planned near Atlanta Ga soon- there are always a few up there for sale.
If I have not found one by then I'll pick one up there.
BWB
Quote from: Idahawk on May 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM
I picked up two of these in bad shape and built one out of the parts , I'm in both for less then 30 bucks .
Same deal wife wants to grill when I'm gone, and like someone said a far better set up for indirect plus way more room .
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/sevuqa6u.jpg)
a skylines only differences are the logo, the basket tool holder , and instead of wood slats in the work tables it's a deck tech like material , it took a year and some parts from Bman before I got this together . Even if you find a black one you can change out hoods in one minute , I keep a red hood for mine just to change it up , now I want a plum after seeing one :)
Quote from: GOMRDS on May 27, 2014, 09:01:39 AM
Can't argue with the Q for light duty.
Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
Hopefully Bman will jump in here, as he definitely knows gassers.
In the '80s and '90s the Genesis grills had 13 flavorizor bars and a deeper grill box.
The late '90s and early '00s had 5 flavorizors and a shallower box. Both generations have basically the same manifold and burners.
Sometime in the mid '00s they dropped the "East/West" burner configuration for the current "North /South" set up.
The old gassers are some of the best gas grills ever made and parts are plentiful. The E/W configuration is often sought out for rotisserie use.
My 2¢.
Quote from: jcnaz on May 27, 2014, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: GOMRDS on May 27, 2014, 09:01:39 AM
Can't argue with the Q for light duty.
Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
Hopefully Bman will jump in here, as he definitely knows gassers.
In the '80s and '90s the Genesis grills had 13 flavorizor bars and a deeper grill box.
The late '90s and early '00s had 5 flavorizors and a shallower box. Both generations have basically the same manifold and burners.
Sometime in the mid '00s they dropped the "East/West" burner configuration for the current "North /South" set up.
The old gassers are some of the best gas grills ever made and parts are plentiful. The E/W configuration is often sought out for rotisserie use.
My 2¢.
Interesting info. Seems like quite a drop in the number of flav bars from 13 to 5, but I don't know anything about the designs. All I know is like the earlier ones with natural wood.