Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Winz on May 14, 2014, 05:28:09 PM

Title: Project "Venison"
Post by: Winz on May 14, 2014, 05:28:09 PM
My first WSM mini build.  I put this together to give to a good friend for his upcoming birthday.  He has built some cool stuff for me over the years and its time I repaid some of that good karma.

We both like to bow hunt, so I decided to use that as a theme.  The build itself is a pretty run of the mill WSM build.  I used an antler from a coos deer I harvested in the Chriicahua Mountains in Arizona for the vent handle.  That is some amazing country, and coos deer are super elusive, making for some incredible hunting.

For function, i sourced the parts to make my own 3/8 grommet for a temp probe.  On the inside shot you can see where it supports the top shelf (the support at the top of the picture).

Still need to add a temp gauge.  I ordered the gauge/bezel that comes on the 18.5 WSM, and am going to mount it to the right of the logo with the probe just below the top shelf.

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/nrbf80foud92k2r/IMG_0204.jpg)

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k4suii1ly25yjms/IMG_0206.jpg)

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/r97ed9ottj9scrg/IMG_0207.jpg)

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6z91vr8orot49qy/IMG_0208.jpg)

I am sure most of you have done this project, but this was my first.  In researching Mini WSM conversions, I came across a few that had been posted on other forums, however I recognized the WKC members names.  Particularly impressive was Bman's build - that logo work is crazy good. 

Nice job Bman!  I wish I had your patience and attention to detail.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build (http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build)

Winz
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on May 14, 2014, 05:39:23 PM
Looks great. I need to build one someday; a small one's all I need but lack the $199 for the real deal.
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: pbe gummi bear on May 14, 2014, 05:54:20 PM
Nice Job, Winz. I recommend a small clay saucer for a heat diffuser and a small expanded metal charcoal ring and your buddy will be all set. The Browning logo is great!
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: Winz on May 14, 2014, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: pbe gummi bear on May 14, 2014, 05:54:20 PM
Nice Job, Winz. I recommend a small clay saucer for a heat diffuser and a small expanded metal charcoal ring and your buddy will be all set. The Browning logo is great!

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/0uyfrgrkjpxhex6/IMG_0209.jpg)

r.e. heat diffuser - I am thinking of going with the pie pan vs the clay.  I see advantages to clay as a heat sink, but like the lightness and portability of the pie pan. 

Still have some time to decide the best course.

Winz
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: Idahawk on May 14, 2014, 06:05:42 PM
My first bow was a Browning some 25 years ago , I like the theme and the cooker !


Esto Perpetua
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: argentflame on May 14, 2014, 07:50:55 PM
Awesome theme. Very nice cooker.
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: crumbsnatcher on May 14, 2014, 08:12:49 PM
Nice job on the build WinZ!  The logo looks great. I love the antler integration into the vent tab. Do you use a water pan when smoking in these mini WSM?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: Winz on May 15, 2014, 03:46:32 AM
QuoteDo you use a water pan when smoking in these mini WSM?

Crumbsnatcher - Like its larger WSM brothers, you need to have a heat diffuser or water pan in place to protect the meat from direct heat.  Given the pan on the Mini is so small, I doubt it would be very useful to put water in it for long/slow cooks as you would need to refill it often.  That said, I have never cooked on a Mini so I don't have any practical knowledge on the matter.

Winz
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: Heyjude on May 15, 2014, 06:55:15 AM
An unglazed clay saucer works good. It absorbs and holds heat. Same intent with a water pan.
Now even if you wrap that saucer in foil, grease still finds a way to get on it. They tend to absorb the grease. No amount of washing seems to get it out. A pan to catch the drippings would be better..  8)
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: 1buckie on May 15, 2014, 08:06:21 AM

Yeah, bone stuff is a shoe-in for handles.....don't think we'll put Brian out of business any time soon though............

(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Minor%20Weber%20Modifications/Weber%20Mods%202/7-29-2011MinorWeberMod24-12-2013014.jpg)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/out-west-we-call'em/msg27571/?topicseen#msg27571


Real extra nice job on the build, man !!!!!!
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: pbe gummi bear on May 15, 2014, 08:09:13 AM
Buckie, your dog ate one of those bone handles right?
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: 1buckie on May 15, 2014, 08:20:03 AM


No, the people's dawgs (plural) who that was done for ate the 1st one off......this is round two.....see link.............
Title: Re: Project "Venison"
Post by: 1911Ron on May 15, 2014, 12:14:25 PM
Very nice, good job!