Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Grates: should I?  (Read 2240 times)

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
Stainless Steel Grates: should I?
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
Time is coming for snow to melt and the kettle to get going again.  I've been pondering upgrading the grate to the SS one.  Do you folks think its worth it?

Moreover, where is a good place to order one in Canada?  Amazon.ca has a lot of stuff, but not the SS grates for kettle....

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Stainless Steel Grates: should I?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
Are yours rusted out? If not, I would leave them until they start to wear. Adding a light coat of oil at the end of the cook will help keep rust at bay, as does regular brushing. If you wanted to upgrade to something with more thermal mass for searing there's alot of other options out there like craycort, mangrates, etc.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
I would go to the Weber website and use the tool to search for resellers near you. The new SS grates are nice, or you could get the Gourmet BBQ system Weber makes, which will allow you to insert other optional sear grate, wok, pizza stone, griddle, and more. I just got one with the sear grate and the bars are super thick and sturdy (to support the heavier attachments). I love it. Any Weber distributor can order what they don't have in stock.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »
As Gummi points out keeping them oiled will resist rusting. The SS grates on my 2009 26 are original with no huge visible signs of rusting.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
Time is coming for snow to melt and the kettle to get going again.  I've been pondering upgrading the grate to the SS one.  Do you folks think its worth it?

Moreover, where is a good place to order one in Canada?  Amazon.ca has a lot of stuff, but not the SS grates for kettle....

I'm the U.S. but have successfully ordered from amazon.ca and from amazon.uk --- you might try another country, too.

I have the stainless "system" grate (that takes the round inserts) and wouldn't do without the ability to flip up a side to add charcoal for some cooks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch