Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Internal ash catcher experiment  (Read 3507 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Internal ash catcher experiment
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »
Recently I picked up an Happy Cooker internal ash catcher compliments of Buckie (Thanks, Ken! :).  I am in love with it and have been wanting to see how it works with my 26". I set it in the bottom of the bowl and there's just enough contour in the pan and space between it and the daisy wheels that it worked. I tested it last Friday for wing and pigs in a blanket night. Has anyone else with an older 26 and an HC pan tried this? I thought it worked out great!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Internal ash catcher experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
Recently I picked up an Happy Cooker internal ash catcher compliments of Buckie (Thanks, Ken! :).  I am in love with it and have been wanting to see how it works with my 26". I set it in the bottom of the bowl and there's just enough contour in the pan and space between it and the daisy wheels that it worked. I tested it last Friday for wing and pigs in a blanket night. Has anyone else with an older 26 and an HC pan tried this? I thought it worked out great!

The internal ash catcher is such a great idea I am surprised weber didn't try to use it..
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:12 AM »
Great idea craig.  I like the internal pan so much that I might even try to use it on my OTs (by adding a few supports to it)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Awesome! 

I need one of those so that I don't set my wooden deck on fire using the Westerner.

Great idea (and awesome looking 26 Craig)!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »
Great idea craig.  I like the internal pan so much that I might even try to use it on my OTs (by adding a few supports to it)

Awesome! 

I need one of those so that I don't set my wooden deck on fire using the Westerner.

Winz

G$, Thanks You'll have to keep us posted on how you do the supports for the pan.  :)

Winz, Thanks! Decks are the one thing that would make me slightly squeamish about using a daisy kettle but I think that this pan is the ticket!  :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
Awesome! 

Winz

.....or a giant salad bowl !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:39 AM »
Couldn't you just take a new Weber ash pan and drill it and put a couple of long screws and make a spacer and set that in the bottom of the grill?  I'll try it this weekend....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »

You could, but that's aluminum......those Happy Cooker ones are thicker than the wall of a Weber & totally coated in thick porcelain............

..........but, you wouldn't maybe know that, 'cause IT'S A HAPPY COOKER THING !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
What buckie said.

Hot coal on a HC ash pan gives me no worry.  Hot Coal on aluminum may eventually 'melt' it.