Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you polish a faded black kettle?  (Read 2946 times)

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
How do you polish a faded black kettle?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
I've got an old, faded black kettle that now looks more gray than black. When I wipe the surface with soap and water is looks much darker and richer but then quickly fades back to gray as it dries. What do most of you do to bring back the finish to something that is a bit closer to the original dark color? Oil will darken it, but are there detrimental after-effects of using it? Or do you use some sort of automotive polish, perhaps?

I suppose another thought would be to simply embrace the gentlemanly complexion the old boy has taken years to acquire. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: How do you polish a faded black kettle?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
Geez, thanks much Gummi. I used the 'search' function but didn't find this one. It's exactly what I was looking for!
Dale

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »
Geez, thanks much Gummi. I used the 'search' function but didn't find this one. It's exactly what I was looking for!

Anytime, Dale.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
I wiped one of my gray Rat Rods down with some flax seed oil (the recommended oil for seasoning cast iron) and it had produced a long lasting dark color, especially on the dome. The kettle itself, due to the heat, needs to be retreated this summer.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Thanks Harbormaster.
So, the flax seed oil didn't burn and discolor from high heat. I recall reading the thread on a yellow kettle restore where photos showed the oil had later streaked and turned brown from the heat. Basically, it burned. If I recall correctly, I think PAM was used in that instance.

I wonder how well WD40 would work. I doubt that it would discolor but maybe it would smell bad?
Dale

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:11:44 AM »
PAM worked for me!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Oh, that is nice, MaxBobcat!

I need to do an experiment. Maybe what I'll do this Spring is tape off three sections on an old faded kettle cover and apply either grape seed or flax seed oil to one section, WD40 to another section, and PAM in the third section. And maybe a 4th - automotive polish. Then fire it up regularly and leave it out in the sun and see how it looks at the end of the season.
Dale

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »

So, the flax seed oil didn't burn and discolor from high heat.

It seems the heat from the kettle bowl will cause the nice color to fade, but the dome still looks great. Not quite black, but definitely a very dark gray.

Me maybe not so pretty sure about using WD-40 on the outside of a grill.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"