Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer Propane Lifespan  (Read 3068 times)

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Performer Propane Lifespan
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:22:21 AM »
Gearing up to buy my first Performer and I am curious what you guys are getting out of the mini bottles. It's a shame the Crimson didn't turn out like I hoped.  >:(
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer Propane Lifespan
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:46:55 AM »
They actually last quite a while.  As odd as it is, I've had better results using the chimney on the gas assist followed by dumping the chimney into the baskets/grate.  It puts the fully engulfed charcoal 'on top' and the partial (or unlit) on the bottom.  The baskets are kinda big to get an even ignition compared to the chimney.  Once the bottom 1/3 or so of the chimney are lit, I turn the gas off and let the chimney work it's magic.  Since I started doing it this way, I really slowed down on the 1 pound bottle swaps.  Still, best to have extras on hand for obvious reasons.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:50:35 AM »
That was my plan as well, utilizing the chimney.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
That's what I do too with the chimney.  Of course it depends on how much you cook, and how long you leave the burner going.  I got tired of fooling with the little ones so I got one of those adapters for the Weber Q and I attached a 20 lb tank to my performer and it lasted all last summer....still going...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »
They last longer than you would expect. I use baskets or my chimney and just get me goin them shut the gas off and let them get ashy on their own. Now I mostly use those fire starter cubes when I find them on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
Those fire starter cubes are wonderful! I highly recommend them.
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:04 AM »
use a chimney, alternatively you could buy a hose and connect to a larger propane tank, then it will last you years and you don't have to fill landfills with tanks.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
I bought a refill adapter that I'm going to try this season.
It was only about $7.00 on special.
The ol' man used to do this back in the 60's and 70's for our camping propane.

Here it is...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refill-Disposable-Propane-Bottles-heater-stove-lantern-tank-cylinders-adapter-/261268931484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd4d7839c

Caution :
There have been some fools that have tried doing this near an ignition source (electric motor, gas-fired water heater, furnace, etc.) and blown themselves up.
Do it outside.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
use a chimney, alternatively you could buy a hose and connect to a larger propane tank, then it will last you years and you don't have to fill landfills with tanks.

Hey lightning check this thread...the fourth post down....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-propane-lifespan/new/#new

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
I bought a refill adapter that I'm going to try this season.
It was only about $7.00 on special.
The ol' man used to do this back in the 60's and 70's for our camping propane.

Here it is...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refill-Disposable-Propane-Bottles-heater-stove-lantern-tank-cylinders-adapter-/261268931484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd4d7839c

Caution :
There have been some fools that have tried doing this near an ignition source (electric motor, gas-fired water heater, furnace, etc.) and blown themselves up.
Do it outside.

I got one, I found it a huge pain in the Ass.  I couldn't get it to work very well.  You need to freeze the empty tank, and it seems to fill better, but it was still crummy.   I could get it to fill, kind of, but it was only a tiny bit at a time.  It would take like all day to fill the tank like a quarter of the way.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  You freeze it, then fill it and it warms up instantly, so you need to freeze it again, it was a waste of my time.  If you have luck maybe you can explain it to me....just go get the Weber Q hose

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
Gearing up to buy my first Performer and I am curious what you guys are getting out of the mini bottles. It's a shame the Crimson didn't turn out like I hoped.  >:(

I bought the adapter to a 20lb tank and have never emptied it lol

ramcharger1979

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
The adapter is the only way to go.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »

Hey lightning check this thread...the fourth post down....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-propane-lifespan/new/#new

I don't always read  in detail every post before I post, please forgive me.  You made a great point though..........
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
I thought it was humorous.... :^)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
There are a bunch of posts on YouTube about refilling the small "camp" bottles with a 20lb can. Even if it doesn't fill it completely it should be enough to get you by.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.