Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone ever TIG weld a kettle?  (Read 2174 times)

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
Anyone ever TIG weld a kettle?
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
Started working on the redhead today, as you can see the handle is going to be a problem. I have a good friend that is a welder. I'm thinking about asking him to give the handle a shot with a TIG welder. Any thoughts?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Anyone ever TIG weld a kettle?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
How about using a new style 26 handle? I think they bolt on anyway, but I'm not sure of the bolt spacing. Anyone try that?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
Why not put some fresh bolts through the handle and call it a day.  If it's clean I see no issue with some nuts a bolts

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »
Jeff-
I'm not very familiar with the TIG welding process, but I'm a mediocre MIG welder at best and could certainly make that handle stick and look like it was never broken off.  Your friend should have no problems with it.

1) Remove bolts and clean surfaces of rust with grinder or dremel to bare metal at welding location.

2) Weld through existing bolt-holes attaching handle back to lid.

3) Grind down tops of weld with dremel to match existing surface and allow ground down surface to rust like existing metal or clean up entire area and paint with high-temp paint.

As long as your buddy welds through the existing bolt hole and not around the handle "legs", it will look just like the factory weld.  It should be easy since the porcelain is already chipped away giving him room to work without messing up anymore porcelain.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:25:29 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
Next to welding rivets look the best and are really easy.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:04 AM »
If your friend can TIG he is an advanced welder and he will be able to "puddle weld" the bolt holes to make it look OEM.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
I talked to my buddy last night, he is going to take a look at it this coming weekend. I was going to buy some stainless fasteners but I figured as long as the porcelain is already gone welding would be a cleaner option. The inside of the lid is bare metal around the hole locations also. If he does weld it I will post some pics here.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
If I can do it.... ANYBODY CAN!!! Scroll down to see my welding skills (well, lack there of) :)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/newbie-here-from-santa-maria-ca/msg84528/#msg84528
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
That looks great! I like that much better than stainless nuts and bolts. I hope mine works out this way! Thanks for the link!  8)