Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Racks and Wrapping  (Read 4618 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Rib Racks and Wrapping
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

I'm doing pork spare ribs this weekend.  To satisfy my own curiosity I'm doing two racks, each slightly differently, just to see what the difference is and to decide for myself which way I like better.  I'm doing one rack 2-1-1, and the other without wrapping for the full four hours.  I want to do them on my kettle using the snake method, and I want to christen my spanking new rib rack.  If I wrap the ribs, can I still do 'em using the rib rack?  Or do the wrapped ribs have to lie flat on the cooking grate?  If I shouldn't use the rib rack for the wrapped ribs (try saying that three times as fast as you can), I'll do 'em on my WSM.

Thanks for the info.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
Re: Rib Racks and Wrapping
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
The wrapped ribs would need to lay flat. I would think. All the wrapping does is braise the meat to an extent, and stop smoke penetration.

Fire up both the WSM and the kettle. One rack on each.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:38:39 PM »

E......it would most likely be better to have the wrapped ones lie flat if possible, elseways, the liquids in the packet will drop to one side.....kinda defeats the purpose of braizing the whole flat of meat that way...........

Depending on how big of a cut they are, you may be able to do one flat & one to try out the rack if you'd like.....these are fairly large full spares & they still have breathing room lying flat (coals are off to one side, not snaked all the way around).....

Don't know what style your rack is, but you might be able to set them perpendicular & have it work out......only time I use a rack is if I'm pressed for available lit kettle space (instead of starting another machine).......they're basically meant to increase capacity, not so much for any finished product benefit.............

This is the narrower St. Louis cut, two upright & the third flat across the top of two wires of the rack.....that may be a way you could set up?

......or......just use the multiple WSM racks......I'm a Kettlehead, so I always try to figure out how much I can get away with there 1st !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.  My initial intent was that for a "short cook," the kettle would be fine.

I trimmed one rack St Louis style, and when I buy the second one I intend to do the same.

I haven't reached the stage yet where I feel capable of handling two cookers at once.

I guess that simple isn't easy, and easy isn't simple.  Maybe I'll use the WSM this time, and once I settle the comparison, I'll go back to using the kettle for a single rack.

Thanks again for all your input and suggestions.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
Will you be sparying the non wrapped rack all through the cook?

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.  My initial intent was that for a "short cook," the kettle would be fine.

I trimmed one rack St Louis style, and when I buy the second one I intend to do the same.

I haven't reached the stage yet where I feel capable of handling two cookers at once.

I guess that simple isn't easy, and easy isn't simple.  Maybe I'll use the WSM this time, and once I settle the comparison, I'll go back to using the kettle for a single rack.

Simple means yer head don't hurt thinkin' about it.......easy is different.......easy usual means not much thinking; if it was easy, everyone would be doin' this !!!!

Did you save up your trim?
If so, maybe do up the trimmings in a separate packet......See Here ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/swine-xylophone-hot-fast/msg41064/#msg41064

(Shows the "Bend test" for doneness also....)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:16:58 PM by 1buckie »

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:14 AM »

Simple means yer head don't hurt thinkin' about it.......easy is different.......easy usual means not much thinking; if it was easy, everyone would be doin' this !!!!

Did you save up your trim?
If so, maybe do up the trimmings in a separate packet......See Here ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/swine-xylophone-hot-fast/msg41064/#msg41064

(Shows the "Bend test" for doneness also....)

Buckie:  Before I respond I gotta tell ya'...my mother had a cousin who was nicknamed "Bucky."  Anyway, we saved the trim to use when my wife makes her sauce for pasta.

Regarding easy and simple, I got my Genesis 1000 pretty much figured out, and I know what I can do with it.  I'm trying to get to the same point with my kettle and the WSM.  Using the kettle is "easier," setup, usage and clean-up.  Using the WSM is simpler, in my humble opinion, in that it's designed for low 'n slow cooking.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:17 AM »

Ken

Kendoll:  Actually, I wasn't.  But now that you mention it, I did get myself an inexpensive spray bottle to use.  Maybe apple juice every 1/2 hour or so during the last two hours.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:15:58 AM »

" Anyway, we saved the trim to use when my wife makes her sauce for pasta. "

Great idea !!!!

Have a fun cookup !!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
i used to use a rib rack before i had a bigger smoker.

for 3-2-1 method (or 2.5-2.5-1 method that i use) - use the rack in the first portion of the cook.

when you foil the ribs, leave the rack out and just stack the foiled ribs (so they all lay flat, meat side down)

then for the last portion, you can try to use the rack (although if you're doing 2.5-2.5 they'll probably break)

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
If you have an extra kettle grate just lay it handles down at 90 degrees to the other grate. You can balance one rack of ribs in the center of the inverted grate directly above the other rack on the main grate.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:06:33 AM »
If you have an extra kettle grate just lay it handles down at 90 degrees to the other grate. You can balance one rack of ribs in the center of the inverted grate directly above the other rack on the main grate.

Honestly, this is something that I never woulda thunkof, a creative solution.  Thanks.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:39 AM »

Ken

Kendoll:  Actually, I wasn't.  But now that you mention it, I did get myself an inexpensive spray bottle to use.  Maybe apple juice every 1/2 hour or so during the last two hours.
And every time you open the cooker you will lose temperature. And you will not make the ribs any juicier.

One of the more scientific cooking shows did a test once cooking pork steaks (IIRC) dry and submerged and there was no difference in the loss of weight between the two pieces of the meat. At best you will add some flavor from the apple juice.

I do applaud your decision to try different things side by side. That's how you learn and get better.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:54:08 AM »

My experiemce with spritzing / spraying, using 50/50 apple juice / apple cider vinegar is it will tenderize A LITTLE bit, but the biggest help is it softens the bark, or outer crust enough so it's less likely to tear when cutting.........

If I spritz, it's twice or thrice, late in the game........ 8)