Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Custom Green Smokey  (Read 4359 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Custom Green Smokey
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
I know it's ice cold and snowing in some other parts of the country forcing you guys indoors, so I thought I would post a few pictures of a custom Smokey Joe I did a while back for your perving pleasure. I'm not a fan of the new legs in fact I hate them because they are so weak and bend so easily, so I have been experimenting trying to come up with substitutes for the last few years. This is one style that I like. You can also put the ash pan on it, and it looks good, but real Grillfella's don't need no stinki'n ash pans now do they? I also painted the legs green in a lame attempt to match the bowl and give it that sixties look. I like that these legs were meant to be used for serious grilling just like the old style ones. No custom grill would be complete without a Brandle either. This is an unfinished/tongue oiled old style single screw walnut. I also made a table for you side table guys, it's pictured with and without the tabletop and actually works and can be used either way. I sure wish they would bring that old 70's Sage/Olive color back and I really hope someone scores one for the rest of us to get a really close look at and see exactly what that color looks like first hand. I think this Crate & Barrel grassy green might be the closest they have ever gotten to it since then. Enjoy,

PS. Moderators, if you think this would be a good fit, feel free to add it to the Customs section in the  gallery. I will also have more Customs past and present to add in the coming months.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Custom Green Smokey
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Duke. Looks GREAT! I like the taller look on your SJ. OK... so how about some details? What are the legs fab'd from? Can we get a closer, more detailed shot of the side table, also? 

I'd love to see more of your Customs jobs.  Keep 'em coming!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Shaun that side table is fucking awesome! Love it!!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
That is fantastic! Totally going into the gallery!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »
Thanks Terry, Troy and Bob, I believe it's called 1/4 flat iron for the legs. I will take more side table shots tomorrow and tell more about it.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Duke, that baby is awesome. I love the side table. Please give us some more pics. I want to see how you attach the table.

Beautiful!!
A Wonderful Family!!!

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
Yes, tell us about the legs! I'm looking to do something like that. Beautiful grill
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
Beautiful work Shaun. Nice peice of ingenuity, shame about the colour. ;D

The side table looks fantastic, really nice craftsmanship. Love the mini condiment holder too.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »
This makes me want to do that to the legs on that new to me SJ. That is some awesome work, Shaun! I love that 70s sage green color!!  Nice to see another custom! Is the side table holder from a condiment holder?  Like I've said to you many times, I love your work!  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:15:22 PM by Craig »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
Beautiful work !
The color reminds me of my mother's circa 1969 refrigerator.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:10:57 AM »
SWEET!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:08 AM »
As always, great work Shaun. Does it seem tippy with the side table mounted?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks again, GL the table is actually very sturdy and would be really difficult to tip especially with these legs. However, the wood table is not permanently fastened to the part that hangs on the bowl lip since it's not something that I use. I'll get more pictures of the table later today.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »
Too cool, Duke.  I too am looking for deets on the legs and that table.  I might have to go out and get a new SJ just to do your leg and table mod. 
WTB 18 fruit

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
Very cool Shaun.